No subject

Mon Sep 28 15:09:14 CDT 2009

whether the color clinging to those distant doors and walls
is that of roses or blood.

As we step into a new century marked by imperialist wars and the
concentration of power in fewer and fewer corporations, these lines from
the Indo-Pakistani poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz, remind us that the outcome of
present struggles is always contingent and cannot be understood from a
distance. This UDC conference is dedicated to examining the various axes =
of
Empire and resistance to it that make up our own present moment.

We invite proposals from artists, activists, and media scholars that ask
how we are to understand and intervene in the connections between war,
media, and power; the war against terrorism and academic freedom in the
University; media conglomeration, the labor movement and democratic
communications; and the social and political responsibility of the arts.
We seek submissions that highlight community and global alternatives to
Empire and expand our language about globalization both from above and
below.  We are particularly interested in integrated panels of artists,
activists, and scholars.

Please send proposals of approximately 250 words.   Artists should =
include
samples of the work they will be presenting in the form of slides, VHS
tapes, CD-Roms, and DVDs.   Proposals should be sent to:

Walter Jaehnig/UDC
College of Mass Communication and Media Arts
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6606
Inquiries can be made to Jyotsna Kapur at jkapur at siu.edu, 618.453-1470,
fax: 618.453-2264

The Union for Democratic Communications is an organization of =
communication
researchers, journalists, media producers, policy analysts, academics =
and
activists dedicated to critical study of the communications =
establishment;
production and distribution of democratically controlled and produced
media; fostering alternative, oppositional, independent and experimental
production; and the development of democratic communications systems
locally, regionally and internationally.  URL: www.udc.org

Jyotsna Kapur
Assistant Professor
Cinema and Photography