[Peace] more on Palestine Awareness Week -- next week! from Students for Justice in Palestine

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 2 16:36:37 CDT 2010

----- Forwarded message from Ala Salameh <asalam8 at illinimedia.com> -----

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:06:00 -0500
From: Ala Salameh <asalam8 at illinimedia.com>
Subject: Palestine Awareness Week
To: aware at anti-war.net

*Dear Members of AWARE,*

*On behalf of Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP), we cordially invite
you to attend the events of our annual Palestine Awareness Week (PAW), which
is taking place April 5-8. *

As you may know, "Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip continue to
live in an odd and oppressive limbo. They have no nation, no citizenship,
and no ultimate power over their own lives. Since 1967, when Israel
conquered these areas (the final 22 percent of mandatory Palestine),
Palestinians have been living under Israeli military occupation. While in
some parts Israel has allowed a Palestinian “autonomous” entity to take on
such municipal functions as education, health care, infrastructure and
policing, Israel retains overall power."

"According to international law, an occupying force is responsible for the
protection of the civilian population living under its control. Israel,
however, ignores this requirement, routinely committing violations of the
Geneva Conventions, a set of principles instituted after World War II to
ensure that civilians would “never again” suffer as they had under Nazi
occupation. Israel is one of the leading violators of these conventions
today. Israeli forces regularly confiscate private land; imprison
individuals without process – including children – and physically abuse them
under incarceration; demolish family homes; bulldoze orchards and crops;
place entire towns under curfew; destroy shops and businesses; shoot, maim,
and kill civilians – and Palestinians are without power to stop any of it."
- www.ifamericansknew.org

*Until today, Israel continues to expand illegal settlements on Palestinian
territories and to claim some of Palestine's historical and religious sites
as its own. There is only so much that can fit in an e-mail, so we invite
you to attend our events below, which address some of the issues that
Palestinians are facing today:*

Students for Justice in Palestine's annual
*Palestine Awareness Week (PAW)*
*Schedule*
*
*
*
*
*Monday:  Art Wall on the Quad     10 am-2 pm, Main Quadrangle
    A display against the West Bank Apartheid Wall, which has been graffitied by
    artists as a means of criticizing policy. Come add your own graffiti to our
    wall the Quad.

Tuesday: Visual History of Jerusalem     4:00-5:30 pm, 109 English Building

    *Issam Nassar, Assoc. Prof. of History at Illinois State Univ., will discuss
    his research on the visual history of Jerusalem. His essay is being
    circulated for discussion. See
	http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bunzl/www/Nassar.pdf

Wednesday: "This Palestinian Life" -A film by Philp Rizk    7:00-8:30 pm, Gregory Hall 100*
    *The film documents specifically the aspects of steadfastness of the
    Palestinian nonviolent struggle against Israeli occupation and annexation.
    Followed by a Skype session with the director Philip Rizk live from Egypt.

Thursday: The Palestinian Refugee Crisis     10am -2pm, Main Quadrangle
    Be on the Quad for our display on Palestinian villages that were destroyed
    by Israel and the current Palestinian refugee crisis of over 4.7 million
    people.  We will be passing out informational materials on the Quad at our
    informational table.*

*We hope you join us in supporting SJP's mission of** igniting discussion,
thought, and ultimately movement for justice in the name of Palestine and
its people. So spread the word to everybody you know. **The Palestinian
people cannot afford the world to be unaware of their strife.*
*
*
*SJP thanks you for your support and we look forward to seeing you at PAW. *
*
*
*If you would like to be more involved with any of the events, contact us
at **sjp.uiuc.gmail.com* <http://sjp.uiuc.gmail.com/>*.*

*Sincerely,*
*Students for Justice in Palestine-UIUC*
*
*

believed to be clean.

----- End forwarded message -----