[Peace] CALLING ALL POETS!!!! Poetry at the Juvenile Detention Center

Rachel Harmon harmon at uni.illinois.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:30:03 CDT 2010

Hey Everyone!
My name is Rachel Harmon I am senior (OhTen!) in high school and am doing
a public poetry project for my poetry class at school. The ultimate goal
of this public poetry project and really of any public poetry project is
to accentuate the importance, beauty, and utility of poetry to a
population or community of people that is not normally exposed to poetry
in that manner. But let me get to the point, I received approval last week
from the superintendent at the Juvenile Detention Center to conduct a
public poetry project with the teens at the JDC and so I am emailing all of
you because I need poets. To explain the project most briefly and
summarily it will be a 2-3 part project, occuring in the month of May
where we share poems from some of our favorite poems, poems of our own,
and, at the end, help the teens write their own poems and gather them all
in a book that we will make available to the library at the JDC, to the
teens themselves, and hopefully to their families.

However, the plan is somewhat flexible so, if you are interested, I am
having a preliminary meeting at the Champaign Public Library in the
Foundation Conference Room (222) this Sunday, April 18th at 1:30 pm where
we can work out the details . I am very excited about this project and
feel like it could be a really beautiful thing if the right people are
involved (this is a rare opportunity for members of the community to
interact with the teens at the JDC while they are at the JDC) so if you're
getting this email and you are not in fact a poet but know someone who is
and who would be interested by all means  forward this email. I think that
the maximum number of poets would be 15, but don't be afraid to throw this
email to anyone you think would be vaguely interested. This is not a work
intensive commitment and would require 1-2 meetings prior to our event in
the month of May so don't think that you will are signing away 20 hours if
you respond back and say that you're interested.

Let me recap, this is alot of text:
1) Public Poetry Project at Juvenile Detention Center in MAY (2-3 days)
2) Meeting for anyone interested in participating this SUNDAY at 1:30 in
the Foundation Conference Room (222) at the Champaign Public Library
3) Email me back if you are interested (especially if you can't make the
meeting)
4) No age limit or requirement (as far as I know)

Thanks!
Rachel Harmon

believed to be clean.