[Peace] new immigration-rights group? - Tue 7pm, Champaign Public Library, room "C"

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:58:49 CDT 2010

What:  Organizing meeting for an immigrants' rights group
When:  Tuesday, Aug. 10th, 7:00-9:00 PM
Where: Champaign Public Library, Robeson Pavilion room "C"

Several of us [*] have been talking about ongoing action on
immigrants' rights, sparked by Arizona's SB 1070 law, the
prospect of similar laws in other states, and anti-immigrant
feeling in general.

We held a demonstration against SB 1070 and in support of
humane immigration policies on July 29th, the day the Arizona law
went into effect -- it was a symbolic occasion but only a small step
in a long struggle.

We're looking now at how to go further.  We have some ideas, and
hope you will too.  Interested?  Please come to the meeting if you can
(Tue 8/10, 7:00pm, Champaign Library room "A"), or let us know
and we can include you in future mailings.

[Besides the lists above, we're also blind-cc'ing people who'd
been involved in the New Sanctuary movement in the past.  If you get
this and aren't on the AWARE-Peace or CUCPJ-announce lists, and want to
continue hearing about this effort, please let us know, too.]

Some ideas we've talked about:

   * Many people in the area are simply unaware of the issues
	surrounding immigration in the US, and there's plenty
	of misinformation going around.

	We should assemble information, with SB 1070 and related
	legislation as the core, to inform people, keep them aware of
	current events, debunk myths, maybe provide alternatives
	to anti-immigrant spin.  We'd probably prepare flyers, at least.

	Those flyers could be good things to offer passersby at demonstrations.

	This is a personal struggle.  How our country treats immigrants
	isn't just a matter of "them".  A climate of fear affects us all.

   * We should look to involve students, *and also* need to be
	present to people in the community, who will be an anchor:
	lasting support will come from people of the C-U community.

   * We anticipate future events that will require quick action --
	for example, anti-immigrant legislation in other states including IL
	(or anti-immigrant editorials, or deportation raids ...).
	We should assemble a response task force to be ready to speak out.

   * Specific local action: Jimmy John Liautaud, owner of Jimmy John's
	(with its national HQ in Champaign), has apparently actively
	supported SB 1070.  In 2008, sent $10,000 (of his own money)
	to a group supporting the reelection of Phoenix's appalling
	Sheriff Arpaio.

	We could mobilize around this.   For example,
	could write to Jimmy John himself, inviting him to
	publicly change his position and oppose SB 1070.
	(This could be a private contact, or an open letter.)

	We could choose some Jimmy John's locations and hold protests
	outside them, urging the franchise owner of that shop
	to make a similar statement.

	If we think there's enough support, we could try to
	organize a boycott of Jimmy John's.

[*] People who've been meeting so far:
   Allison McGillivray; Jesse Phillippe, Eric Heim (of ISO);
   Celeste Larkin (La Colectiva); Paul Nolan; Stuart Levy (AWARE).
   And at least 18 people attended the July 29th demonstration.