[Peace] [Fwd: Interfaith Panel Discussion Series 2010, Session Three]

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 23 22:21:12 CST 2010

How well can all these groups get along in the USA if one of the panel members supports a nation that has promoted war and destruction against Muslim countries in the Middle east? Weichsel has supported all the recent wars the U.S. has entered, taking his cues from the right-wing and less right wing Israeli governments. He was also instrumental in having our cable channel shut down Mosaic, a news program consisting of various ME Muslim commentators. He was no doubt proud of that.

If this group wanted a Jew to be represented, it should have been someone like you, or more radically, David Green.

U.S. Muslims will not be "safe" or comfortable here as long as "we" are making war on many Muslim nations and groups. Do you not understand that?

--mkb

On Feb 23, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Robert Naiman wrote:

> Paul Weichsel has right-wing views on Israel-Palestine, but on the
> implicit topic of this panel - Jews, Christians, and Muslims getting
> along in the U.S. - he is a potential force for good.
>
> Since Jews, Christians, and Muslims getting along in the U.S. - in
> particular, making America a safe space for Muslims - is also an
> important cause, I think this is a worthy effort.
>
> Also, the more we make America a safe space for Muslims, the more
> Muslims in the U.S. will feel confident in speaking out about
> Israel-Palestine, so perhaps the one cause will contribute to the
> other.
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> Yeah, people like that should only appear on panels sponsored by AWARE,
>> right?
>>
>> Morton K. Brussel wrote:
>>>
>>> Friendship with apologist for Israel's crimes Paul Weichsel?  Disgusting!
>>> --mkb

believed to be clean.