[Peace] Anti-war Coalition Meeting, Saturday Feb 26, 1:30 PM in the U of I Union

Jesse Phillippe japhillippe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:10:37 CST 2010

> With the 7th anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq war fast approaching,
> the need for increased anti-war activism and organizing is as great as ever,
> because, as we all know, the Iraq war is far from over.  In a time when
> anti-war activism is waivering, we need to recognize that Obama has just
> escalated the unjust and racist war in Afghanistan, and that the assault on
> Gaza a little over a year ago is still fresh in many activists' minds.
>
> Several local groups have decided to organize a coalition of anti-war and
> progressive  groups and people, in an effort to increase the level of
> anti-war activism, to consolidate our forces, and to increase communication
> along the way.  With the CAN National Conference coming to the U of I
> campus, a lot of local anti-war activists are very busy.  So we could use
> all the help we can get!  *And the point of consolidating our forces
> (getting all the help we can get) is to do what every anti-war group should
> do when approaching the anniversary of an unjust war, namely PROTEST IT!!*
>
> So, this week *we are having the meeting Saturday at 1:30 PM in the
> Courtyard Cafe of the Union which will be during the lunch break of the CAN
> Conference*.  I apologize to those for whom, this time doesn't work (I
> will keep you updated on our progress one way or the other). I am also
> assuming that this time is not too much of a stretch for people who said
> they can make it at noon (either way, let me know).

Last week *we decided to hold the protest on March 18, We would start with a
rally at the north end of the quad (south of the Union) and march to the
corner of Wright and Green Streets.*  It would start at either 4:30 or 5pm,
when people are getting off work.  Perhaps a die-in would be optional,
depending on the weather (and road conditions) and how willing people are to
lie down on the cold ground in the middle of the intersection for 30 seconds
at a time.

believed to be clean.