[Peace] AWARE this weekend: Sat. demonstration, Sun. parade: Local Heroes of Peace and Justice

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 30 18:02:51 CDT 2010

Friends of peace,

This weekend is the first Saturday of the month -- a good time to
show that we oppose our country's habit of making war, and of
assuming that the fate and resources of the world are at our disposal...

Please demonstrate with us:

   Saturday, July 3rd, 2:00-4:00 PM
   at Main and Neil, downtown Champaign.

And on Sunday -- around 12:30pm -- come march with us in
the Independence Day Parade.  The parade **starts in Champaign**
this year, from the E-14 parking lot just west of the Assembly Hall.

AWARE's is float #80, near the northeast corner of that huge lot.

Our theme: "150 Years of Local Heroes of Peace and Justice":

    We look to heroes of the area, past and present, who have worked
    against making war, promoted peace and cooperation, or supported
    civil rights and social justice ... conscientious objector
    Merlin Taber, Dorothy Day of the Catholic Worker Movement,
    to Champaign community activist John Lee Johnson,
    UofI President George Stoddard who supported the UN in its infancy,
    and Grandpa Robert Wahlfeldt, who did some of everything.

The parade should start about 1pm, but we should be in place by 12:30.

We can still use help putting the float together and making signs.
If you can help, we'll have a couple more work parties at
Ron Szoke's place, 105 E McHenry in Urbana:

    7 PM Thursday (tomorrow), and
    late afternoon Saturday after the demonstration

believed to be clean.