[Peace] "Because it's still not over" Peace Demonstration Thursday March 18, 2010 / 5pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 09:31:03 CST 2010

Spring is in the air, but before you leave for Spring Break, ...
Join us for "Because it's still not over" Peace Demonstration (the
following is from the flier attached)

Why: Seven year anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq ...
...and it is still not over.
What: Peace Demonstration and Rally
When: 18 March 2010 (Thursday) 5pm
Where:  The corner of Green and Wright Streets, Champaign-Urbana

* 2003 March 20, the United States invaded Iraq.
  2010 March: we still have 115,000 troops in Iraq.
* Congress supported the invasion in 2002 knowing that it was illegal
but feeling that it was justified. They now say they were misled: the
Bush Administration made over 935 false statements about Iraq’s
alleged threat to the United States in a 2-year period.
* 1,366,350 Iraqis have died due to the U.S. invasion and occupation (2010).
  4.2 million Iraqis have lost their homes and become refugees (June 2007).
* The Bush Administration estimated the war would cost $50 billion.
  The total financial costs of the war in Iraq is now more than $700
billion (February 2010).
* Cost of deploying one U.S. soldier for one year in Iraq : $390,000
* 4,377 US soldiers killed (as of January 2010). 31,639 seriously wounded.
  54% of US casualties were under 25 years old.
* 30% of US troops develop serious mental health problems within 3 to
4 months of returning home .
* In October 2007, Obama supported removing all combat troops within
16 months. “I will remove one or two brigades a month, and get all of
our combat troops out of Iraq within 16 months. The only troops I will
keep in Iraq will perform the limited missions of protecting our
diplomats and carrying out targeted strikes on al Qaeda. And I will
launch the diplomatic and humanitarian initiatives that are so badly
needed. Let there be no doubt: I will end this war.”
* September 2007:  “I believe that we should have all our troops out
by 2013, but I don’t want to make promises, not knowing what the
situation’s going to be three or four years out. “
* Congress has the power to limit the deployment of troops and funding
of the wars.
  $80 billion was approved in June 2009, for the ongoing war efforts
in Afghanistan and Iraq.
* Troops still in Iraq - Total 115,000 U.S. troops as of November 30,
2009. All other nations have withdrawn their troops. Private
contractors in Iraq are harder to count.
Because it is still not over. Because it is not just Iraq.

This Peace Demonstration is brought to you by the
Campus Antiwar Network  (CAN)
and other peace organizations

Trivia questions: Which level of Dante’s Inferno is for the politicians?
Which level is for those who did nothing, neither for good nor evil —
those who take no side.

believed to be clean.