[Peace] [Peace-discuss] join peace-action list serve / you are invited to brainstorm actions for peace

Jean Mendoza jamendoz at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 15 07:40:44 CDT 2010

Oh, yes, Publisher's Weekly is known for its insight into social trends... <:-~

I have not seen Ehrenreich's book, but what Carl presents is fair game for deconstruction...
"Reckless national penchant for self-delusion", yes -- but there was/is also rampant delusion on the pessimistic side, a willingness to, for example, see WMD where there were none and to follow "leaders" who tap into the worst aspects of human nature (whatever it may be), willingness to build a hideously ugly, pointless "wall" along the border with Mexico, and the list goes on and on. Those are not the result of "optimism" but of pessimism -- a sense that Something Awful will happen if one doesn't Do Something (albeit something stupid, mean-spirited, expensive, and ultimately useless).  And as for that supposed "lack of anxious vigilance, necessary to societal survival" -- just read or listen to Beckreillybaugh, the teabaggers, the border vigilantes, the barely closeted racists who are fit to be tied that somebody white is not occupying the White House. There is NO shortage of anxious vigilance in the US. But I doubt that their sort of vigilance is necessary to societal surv!
 iv!
al. My impression is that they are vigilant in the wrong direction.

I'm hoping that Barbara Ehrenreich's assessment of the need for negativity is more nuanced than what PW has apparently provided.

Jean M.