[Peace] forward from the food co-op / Olympian Drive / farmland turned into industrial development

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:24:13 CDT 2010

[The following is forwarded from the food co-op. It might be too late
to attend, but you might want to watch tonight's Urbana City Council
meeting on UPTV cable channel 6. -karen medina]

When: TONIGHT (Monday, March 21), 7pm
Where: Urbana council
Chambers in the Urbana City Building, 400 S. Vine Street, directly across
the street from Common Ground Food Co-op

The Urbana City Council will vote tonight (Monday, March 21, 2010) on
whether to accept $5 million in state funds to forward the proposed
extension of Olympian Drive in Urbana.

The funds will be used for a study, public education on the issue, and
land acquisition. If the project goes forward as planned, 1600 acres
of farmland will be turned into industrial development. This will
affect many farms, including Prairie Fruits Farm, which supplies
Common Ground, the Market at the Square, and many other markets with
fresh goat cheese.

This project has long-term implications for the future of Urbana and
for our local food system. If you feel strongly about the proposed
project, either for or against, now is the time to let your voice be
heard - democracy works best when we all participate!

Supporting local food and the development of a robust local food
system is one of Common Ground Food Co-op's main goals. As this issue
directly impacts the viability of a local farm and the use of fertile
local farm land, we will continue to share updates and information
about this project as it unfolds. We encourage our owners and
supporters to learn all they can on the issue, to ask questions, and
to decide for themselves what they believe the impact of the proposed
Olympian Drive project will be on our local food system and community.
We encourage you to get involved!

Both Mayor Prussing, who is leading the campaign for the Olympian
Drive project, and farmers from the "Stop Olympian Drive" group have
presented information at Common Ground over the past two weeks. Both
have left literature defining their positions on the table just inside
the Co-op entrance.

Not sure where you stand on the issue? This meeting may be a good way
to learn more directly from those on bothsides of the issue.

believed to be clean.