[Peace] Urge Congress to End the War in Afghanistan -- require a timetable for military withdrawal, and oppose $33B supplemental

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon May 3 22:37:33 CDT 2010

If you haven't done this already, or maybe even if you have,
note this call from Just Foreign Policy (justforeignpolicy.org)
for support for a bill from Jim McGovern (D-MA) and Walter Jones
(R-NC) in the House, and in the Senate Russ Feingold (D-WI):

  "To require a plan for the safe, orderly, and expeditious
   redeployment of United States Armed Forces from Afghanistan."

Our US Rep. Tim Johnson (R-IL-15) is an original co-sponsor
of the H.R. 5015 bill -- please thank him!  But *no* senator has joined
Feingold in expressing support of the Senate version, S. 3197.
Let's urge our Senators Durbin and Burris, at least, to do that.
Some phone numbers:

   Tim Johnson's local office in Champaign:  217-403-4690
   Sen. Richard Durbin in DC:                202-224-2152
   Sen. Ronald Burris in DC:                 202-224-2854

Just Foreign Policy writes:

    Urge Congress to End the War in Afghanistan
    Urge your representatives to support the Feingold-McGovern-Jones bill for a
    timetable for military withdrawal. (H.R.5015/ S.3197)
    If we can get 100 co-sponsors in the House in the next few weeks,
    we may able to get on a vote on a withdrawal timetable when the
    House considers the supplemental.
    http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/feingold-mcgovern

    New House co-sponsors: Twenty-five new House co-sponsors were listed today,
    including Donna Edwards and Keith Ellison, bringing the total to 63.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR05015:@@@P

This is in the runup to an impending vote on $33 billion
in "supplemental" funds for the occupation of Afghanistan.
See also David Swanson's web page:

    http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/whipwars/

believed to be clean.