[Peace] April 22nd Day of Action to Win a DREAM Scholarship!

Ben Rothschild rothsch2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 08:31:30 CDT 2011

 <http://s.rs6.net/t?e=vBC15iIdvhc&c=1&r=1><http://s.rs6.net/t?e=vBC15iIdvhc&c=3&r=1><http://s.rs6.net/t?e=vBC15iIdvhc&c=4&r=1><http://s.rs6.net/t?e=vBC15iIdvhc&c=5&r=1><http://myemail.constantcontact.com/April-22nd-Day-of-Action-to-Win-a-DREAM-Scholarship-.html?soid=1101171403791&aid=vBC15iIdvhc#fblike>

*Day of Action to Win a DREAM Scholarship!*

* *

Friday, April 22nd,University of Illinois, Wright and Green St. Alma Mater,
RALLY at 2:00 PM, MARCH at 3:00 PM

* *

*· Pass the DREAM Act! · Stop the Raids and Deportations! · No More Tuition
Hikes! · End the Second-Class Treatment of Immigrants! · Increase
Under-Represented Minority Student Enrollment! · Create a Drea**m
Scholarship Program for Undocumented Students! · Build the New Civil Rights
Movement! · Make the University of Illinois a Sanctuary Campus!*

*[image: DREAM Scholarship Image]*

For years, we have waited for the DREAM Act to pass. This bill would allow
hundreds of thousands of young adults a chance to fulfill their dreams
to goto college, get a degree and then become U.S. citizens. The
Democrats failed
to pass the federal DREAM Act in congress last December. It will take a
mass, independent, youth- and student-led new civil rights movement to
change our nation's unjust and broken immigration system.

The failure at the federal level has led to efforts at the local and state
levels to fight for change. On February 16th a group of students met with
President Hogan to demand that the University of Illinois open up financial
aid to undocumented students. Not only did President Hogan refuse to move on
the issue, but he also refused to personally and publicly support the
proposal. We want the University of Illinois to open up University
scholarships and private funds to undocumented students. This would
represent a declaration by one of this country's leading public universities
that it will not tolerate institutionalized Jim Crow treatment of
immigrants.

Neither the federal DREAM Act nor a Dream Scholarship can be won without
mass mobilizations. We must follow the model of the Graduate Employees
Organization (GEO) successful two-day strike in November of 2009. They
brought out over a thousand people to the quad, forced dozens of classes to
be cancelled and stopped business as usual. They successfully won the
guarantee of tuition waivers for thousands of overworked and underpaid
teaching assistants. To win, we cannot listen to those that say that now is
not the time to fight. We cannot listen to anyone who says that the way to
gain any progress is to keep our heads down and make moral appeals to the
rich and powerful. We have a right to fight for the dreams of our
communities. We must act with what Dr. King called the "fierce urgency of
now." Winning a Dream Scholarship will open up the door to passing the state
and federal DREAM Acts. It will only allow us to begin to fight to restore
affirmative action and defend public education. Now is the time to act!

  -- Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant
Rights and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary
(BAMN)www.bamnuiuc.wordpress.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=pal7orbab&et=1105244286361&s=48811&e=001MMW-qze-F8FI2xjxXPJvgAsyxqgx1kIIde1VJFsxl_kzPoC8jssEWhhehLjsqIZhrnvrgwVR2num9ZM3yypq16Xs0aAPveX16Bu_hbt8eWYAQOR5EY3P3wzRZKttOCbR>
b.rothschild at bamn.com, 847-363-6317