[Peace] ecember 12th Day of Action in Champaign-Urbana to highlight community struggles in our local neighborhoods and show solidarity with west coast port workers and occupy movements.

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:59:18 CST 2011

[An invitation forwarded to the peace list from Sarah Lazare: -karen medina ]

You are invited to join a December 12th Day of Action in
Champaign-Urbana to highlight community struggles in our local
neighborhoods and show solidarity with west coast port workers and
occupy movements. On that day, occupy movements will block West Coast
ports, in solidarity with port workers facing attacks from the 1% and
in protest against coordinated police attacks against occupy
encampments.

When: Monday, December 12th, Noon and 5pm

What: Coordinated public presence and actions throughout
Champaign-Urbana. We are inviting you to be visible at noon and five,
with your organizations, communities, families, and friends to show
community power and solidarity with West Coast port workers and occupy
movements. This is a re-imagining of street corner protests: you are
invited to occupy your corner to help create a town-wide presence (if
you can't come out at noon and five then come out when you can).

How to plug in: Stand outside with signs at a trafficked intersection
in your neighborhood, knowing that people all over town are doing the
same. Engage in a creative public presence of your choosing that
speaks to the issues your community is struggling with. Bring your
friends and neighbors. Start dialogues with passersby. Commit to being
present for one hour.

We are inviting you to do this at noon and 5pm at a location of your
choosing, in hopes of creating a broad public presence. However, if
you want to go somewhere you know people will be, come to any of the
following intersections: University and Lincoln in Urbana, Illinois
and Vine in Urbana, Springfield and Randolph in Champaign, and Church
and Lynn in Champaign.

Our goals:
- Show solidarity with the west coast port shutdowns.
- Energize our local community struggles.
- Make our community power visible and create welcoming, accessible spaces.
- Highlight our connected movements for gender, racial, and economic justice.

As a way of documenting this action we will ask that folks at each
intersection send a photo and/or the intersection to
<december12solidarity at gmail.com> so that we can map the impact of this
action. Feel free to shoot us any questions at that email address as
well.