[Peace] December 12 Occupy Day of Action - blast this out!

Jesse Phillippe japhillippe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:30:02 CST 2011

You are invited to join a* December 12th Day of Action in Champaign-Urbana *to
highlight community struggles in our local neighborhoods and show
solidarity with west coast port workers and occupy movements. On that day,
occupy movements will block West Coast ports, in solidarity with port
workers facing attacks from the 1% and in protest against coordinated
police attacks against occupy encampments.

*When: Monday, December 12th, Noon and 5pm
*
*What:* Coordinated public presence and actions throughout
Champaign-Urbana. We are inviting you to be visible at noon and five, with
your organizations, communities, families, and friends to show community
power and solidarity with West Coast port workers and occupy movements.
This is a re-imagining of street corner protests: you are invited to occupy
your corner to help create a town-wide presence (if you can't come out at
noon and five then come out when you can).

*How to plug in:* Stand outside with signs at a trafficked intersection in
your neighborhood, knowing that people all over town are doing the same.
Engage in a creative public presence of your choosing that speaks to the
issues your community is struggling with. Bring your friends and neighbors.
Start dialogues with passersby. Commit to being present for one hour.

We are inviting you to do this at noon and 5pm at a location of your
choosing, in hopes of creating a broad public presence. However, if you
want to go somewhere you know people will be, come to any of the following
intersections: University and Lincoln in Urbana, Illinois and Vine in
Urbana, Springfield and Randolph in Champaign, and Church and Lynn in
Champaign.

*Our goals: *
- Show solidarity with the west coast port shutdowns.
- Energize our local community struggles.
- Make our community power visible and create welcoming, accessible spaces.
- Highlight our connected movements for gender, racial, and economic
justice.

As a way of documenting this action we will ask that folks at each
intersection *send a photo and/or the intersection to <
december12solidarity at gmail.com>* so that we can map the impact of this
action. Feel free to shoot us any questions at that email address as well.