[Peace] Fwd: Iraq Veterans Against the War

St. Jude Catholic Worker stjudecatholicworker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 11:11:10 CST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carly Guerriero <cmguerriero at eiu.edu>
Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Subject: Iraq Veterans Against the War
To: "St. Jude Catholic Worker" <stjudecatholicworker at gmail.com>

The Trauma of War: Panel Discussion about Military PTSD and Suicides
Hosted by Iraq Veterans Against the War, Central Illinois Chapter

WHEN: Tuesday, Feb. 15th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
WHERE: Room 223, Gregory Hall at the UIUC campus (810 South Wright Street in
Urbana)
WHAT: Military PTSD and suicides, featuring mental health professionals,
policy analysts, Vietnam and Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.

Background:

American military personnel are continuing to take their own lives in
unprecedented numbers, as the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq drag on. The toll
of military suicides last year was the worst since records started being
kept in 1980. Iraq Veterans Against the War and Afghanistan Veterans Against
the War invite you to participate in a speaking forum on the national
epidemic of military suicides.

As the U.S. government pursues two open-ended wars, we are seeing troops
stretched beyond their physical and mental capacities to heal. We will look
at the hidden costs of war for U.S. service members, focusing on the
epidemic of military sexual trauma (MST), PTSD, and suicides within the
ranks. We will also talk about IVAW's Operation Recovery Campaign, which is
aimed at stopping the re-deployment of traumatized and wounded troops.
Furthermore, we will talk about the effect that ongoing war has on the Iraqi
and Afghan people: while no statistics are forthcoming, some estimate PTSD
in these societies to be near universal.

For more information about IVAW and Operation Recovery, please visit: <
ivaw.org > The Trauma of War: Panel Discussion about Military PTSD and
Suicides
Hosted by Iraq Veterans Against the War, Central Illinois Chapter

For more information about IVAW and Operation Recovery, please visit: <
ivaw.org >

St. Jude Catholic Worker
317 S. Randolph St.
Champaign, IL 61820