[Peace] January 25th / CRAAC! Next Radical Reading Circle / Myles Horton's, The Long Haul

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 06:33:33 CST 2011

More information on Myles Horton's autobiography, The Long Haul:
The Long Haul is an autobiography of Myles Horton, labor organizer,
founder of the Highlander School and perhaps the first practitioner of
what would later be called popular education. Highlander used the
principles of democratic education - where students were the
authorities in the classroom, the teacher is a facilitator, and the
focus of education is teaching collective action for social change -
to play a key role in the labor movement of the 1930s and the Civil
Rights movement of the 1960s to 1970s. Horton pioneered many of the
educational principles Paulo Freire would make famous worldwide in the
1980s.