[Peace] Lots of upcoming events for February, 2011

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:19:18 CST 2011

Below are the February 2011 events that we know about so far. Please let us
know of others! - karen medina & stuart levy.
Calendar summary first, details below.

    Mon Jan 31, 7:00-8:30PM / Champaign Public Library room “C”
    Restorative Circle Practice Group

    Tue Feb 1, 5:00-7:00PM / UofI English Bldg, rm 259
    Langston Hughes poetry reading

    Feb 1, 2011 - Feb 21, 2011, all day / UofI Main Library
    MLK Jr. Essay Contest Artwork and Exhibit

    Wed, Feb 2nd, 5:30pm / Urbana City Council Chambers
    Urbana Civilian Police Review Board meeting

    Wed, Feb 2, 7:30pm / Espresso Royale (near Krannert), 2nd floor
    Central Illinois IVAW and Allies meeting

    Sat Feb 5, noon / McKinley Foundation
    AWARE reading group (Aaron Glantz's “The War Comes Home”)

    Sat Feb 5, 2:00-4:00PM / corner of Neil and Main
    *** AWARE Monthly peace demonstration ***

    Mon Feb 7, 5pm / St Jude Catholic Worker House, 317 S. Randolph, C.
    Potluck/roundtable discussion on radical alternatives
    in education and critical pedagogy.

    Tue Feb 8, 5:00PM / 3rd floor of Levis Faculty Center
    “Political Uprising in Tunisia and the Implications Beyond”
    panel discussion

    Tue Feb 8, 7:00PM / Champaign City Council Chambers (Neil & University)
    Champaign City Council study session,
    discussing groundwater pollution ordinance.

    Wed Feb 9, 11:06 AM / WILL-AM radio Focus 580
    *** WILL-AM Focus 580 interview with Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish (see below)

    Sat Feb 12, 11:00AM / Urbana Free Library
    *** Discussion/book-signing with Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish,
    physician whose three daughters were killed in 2009 during Israel's
    incursion into the Gaza Strip; author of “I Shall Not Hate”.

    Fri Feb 11 noon / YMCA Friday Forum
    “Another Shade of Green for the U.S. Army”

    As I Travel My Creation: Poetry by Aaron Ammons
    Sat Feb 12, 4 PM / Urbana Free Library

    African American Read-In
    Tue Feb 15, 7pm / Urbana Free Library

    Tue Feb 15, 6:30-8:30PM / Gregory Hall rm 223
    *** “The Trauma Of War: Panel on Military PTSD and Suicides”
    IVAW/AVAW panel on the national epidemic of military suicides,
    the hidden costs of war, and on IVAW's Operation Recovery campaign.

    Fri Feb 18 noon / YMCA Friday Forum
    “Prophetic Voice/Public Witness: Searching for a Non-Violent Approach”

    *** Kathy Kelly, Co-coordinator, Voices for Creative Non-Violence (vcnv.org))
    Fri Feb 25 noon / YMCA Friday Forum

    “The Things They Buried: The Religious Dynamics of
    Remembering (and Forgetting) America's War Dead”
    (and other events in March and later -- see below)

Details on above events

Mon Jan 31, 7:00-8:30PM / Champaign Public Library room “C”
Restorative Circle Practice Group meets.
Room is reserved "under CU Restorative."
As a bit of inspiration, Mikhail shares this story that NPR ran a few years
ago. It's called A Victim Treats His Mugger Right:
http://www.npr.org/2008/03/28/89164759/a-victim-treats-his-mugger-right

Langston Hughes poetry reading
Tue, Feb. 1, 5:00-7:00PM / UofI English Bldg, rm 259, 608 S. Wright St.
Come celebrate Hughes' birthday (1902-1967),
and bring your favorite poem of his to read!  All welcome.

MLK Jr. Essay Contest Artwork and Exhibit
Feb 1, 2011 - Feb 21, 2011 | All Day
University of Illinois, Main Library, 1408 West Gregory Drive, Urbana

Urbana Civilian Police Review Board meeting
Wed, Feb 2nd, 5:30pm / Urbana City Council Chambers, 400 S. Vine St

Central Illinois IVAW and Allies meeting
Wed, Feb 2, 7:30pm / Espresso Royale (on Goodwin near Krannert), 2nd floor
Come catch up from winter break and hatch plans for the coming
months. Also, local IVAW is organizing a panel on military PTSD and
suicides coming up soon - Feb 15th. Find out how you can plug in!
Feel free to give Sarah a ring if you have any questions. 217-816-2918.

Fri Feb 4 noon / YMCA Friday Forum
“President Obama as Commander in Chief”
Ryan Hendrickson, Professor of Political Science, Eastern Illinois University

Sat Feb 5, noon / McKinley Foundation (open room), 5th & Daniel
AWARE reading group
currently reading Aaron Glantz' “The War Comes Home”;
next, Izzeldin Abuelaish “I Shall Not Hate” (see below)

Sat Feb 5, 2:00-4:00PM / corner of Neil and Main, downtown Champaign
AWARE Monthly peace demonstration

Mon Feb 7, 5pm potluck+discussion / St Jude Catholic Worker House, 317 S Randolph, C.
Our potluck/roundtable discussion this month will be on radical alternatives
in education and critical pedagogy. We will focus on different alternative
education methods, discuss the works of some critical theorists, talk about
different alternatives available in the Champaign Urbana area, as well as
the viability of more alternatives. Our attempt is not to focus on existing
problems but to think and act constructively about these issues.

Come and join our discussion, bring food if you'd like or just bring
yourselves!

Tue Feb 8, 5:00PM / 3rd floor of Levis Faculty Center, 919 W Illinois St, U.
“Political Uprising in Tunisia and the Implications Beyond” panel discussion
by CSAMES (Center for S. Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, UofI).
Contact: Angela Williams, aswillms at illinois.edu
Speakers: Asef Bayat: "A New Arab Street?";
Elabbas Benmamoun: "Echoes of the Events in Tunisia in the Region";
Ken Cuno: "The View from Egypt";
Linda Herrera: "Youth Politics and Revolution in a Digital Age";
Jane Kuntz: "Continuity and Change in Tunisia".   See CSAMES calendar at:

http://illinois.edu/calendar/detail/2678?key=2011013020110130215638

Tue Feb 8, 7:00PM / Champaign City Council Chambers (Neil & University)
Champaign City Council study session.  Includes discussion of
the city's groundwater ordinance which absolves polluters of
need to clean up.

Wed Feb 9,  11:06 AM / WILL-AM radio Focus 580
*** WILL-AM Focus 580 interview with Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish,
Dr. Abuelaish will talk about his life as a doctor in Gaza, the tragedy that
struck him and his family during the Israeli bombing of Gaza, and his recent book
“I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor’s Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity.”

Sat Feb 12, 11:00AM  / Urbana Free Library
*** Discussion and Book-Signing with Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish
physician and humanitarian whose three daughters were killed in 2009
during Israel's incursion into the Gaza Strip.  His recently released book,
“I Shall Not Hate,” delivers a memoir that is by turns inspiring and
heartbreaking.  Dr. Abuelaish joins us for a discussion and book-signing.
(Books will be available for $20.)

(Other public events with Dr. Abuelaish are scheduled
during his Feb 11-13th visit... stay tuned.)

 More about Dr. Abuelaish and his work at:

 *  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/books/22doctor.html

 *  His interview on Democracy Now! (democracynow.org):
     http://www.democracynow.org/2011/1/19/gaza_doctor_izzeldin_abuelaish_two_years

 *  The Foundation's website: http://www.daughtersforlife.com

As I Travel My Creation: Poetry by Aaron Ammons
Sat Feb 12,  4 PM / Urbana Free Library
Dynamic & passionate activist & spoken word artist Aaron Ammons
performs original poetry.

African American Read-In
Tue Feb 15, 7pm / Urbana Free Library
Local people read a brief selection by a favorite African American
author.  It promises to be a moving, entertaining, and important event.

“The Trauma Of War: Panel on Military PTSD and Suicides”
Tue Feb 15, 6:30-8:30PM / Gregory Hall rm 223 (810 S. Wright St)
A panel discussion about military PTSD and suicides, featuring mental health
professionals, policy analysts, Vietnam veterans, and veterans from the ongoing
wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  American military personnel are continuing to
take their own lives in unprecedented numbers, as the wars in Afghanistan and
Iraq drag on. The toll of military suicides last year was the worst since
records were kept in 1980.

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Afghanistan Veterans Against the War
invite you to participate in a speaking forum on the national epidemic of
military suicides.  As the U.S. government pursues two open-ended wars, we are
seeing U.S.  troops stretched beyond their physical and mental capacities to
heal. We will look at the hidden costs of war for U.S. service members,
focusing on the epidemic of military sexual trauma (MST), PTSD, and suicides
within the ranks. We will also talk about IVAW's Operation Recovery Campaign,
which is aimed at stopping the re-deployment of traumatized and wounded troops.

Furthermore, we will talk about the effect that ongoing war has on the Iraqi
and Afghan people: while no statistics are forthcoming, some estimate PTSD in
these societies to be near universal.

YMCA Friday Forum series for Spring 2011: “Americans At War”

Every Friday at noon from Feb 4th – Apr 8th / University YMCA,
1001 S. Wright St, Champaign.  Audio also *rebroadcast* on
the following Monday at 6:00pm on WEFT-FM 90.1.

Fri Feb 4 noon / YMCA
“President Obama as Commander in Chief”
Ryan Hendrickson, Professor of Political Science, Eastern Illinois University

Fri Feb 11 noon / YMCA
“Another Shade of Green for the U.S. Army”
William Goran, Director, Center for the Advancement of Sustainability
Innovations (CASI), U.S. Army

Fri Feb 18 noon / YMCA
“Prophetic Voice/Public Witness: Searching for a Non-Violent Approach”
Kathy Kelly, Co-coordinator, Voices for Creative Non-Violence (vcnv.org)

Fri Feb 25 noon / YMCA
“The Things They Buried: The Religious Dynamics of
Remembering (and Forgetting) America's War Dead”
Jonathan Ebel, Professor of Religion, U. of Illinois

Fri Mar 4 noon / YMCA
“US Peacebuilding Efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan: Success or Failure
and How Do We Know”
Paul Diehl, Henning Larson Professor of Political Science, U. of Illinois

Fri Mar 11 noon / YMCA
“Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Gender-Identity and
Sexual Orientation issues in the Military”
Phil Reese, Contributing Writer, Out and About Illinois and the Bilerco Project

Fri Apr 1 noon / YMCA
“The Girls Come Marching Home -- Stories of Women on the Battlefield
and the Challenges They Face when They Return Home”
Kirsten Holmstedt, Author of "Girls Come Marching Home" & "Band of Sisters"

Fri Apr 8 noon / YMCA
“Fear and Outrage: Emotional Responses to Terrorism”
John Lynn, Distinguished Professor of Military History, Northwestern University

Sat Apr 9
Bi-coastal rallies, in New York City and San Francisco
United National Antiwar Committee - UNAC
strong solidarity with the Palestinian people as well as the strong
opposition to racism and the wave of anti-Islamic hysteria that has
been sweeping the country. The Grand Jury subpoenas in Chicago and
Minneapolis have especially targeted Palestinian solidarity activists
www.unacpeace.org