[Peace] Fwd: "Panhandling"

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 23 13:18:56 CDT 2011

Comments:

Poverty is a major cause of unpleasantness and criminal behavior, but to rid society of poverty would not solve all problems of ciminality.

The Urbana city council was informed that some people were alarmed/frightened by behaviors they encountered, and responded with an ordinance. I do not believe that they conflated panhandling with violent crime or race. Whether the "public" believes that is arguable.

Unfortunately, many opponents of the ordinance have conflated all those who panhandle as innocents subject to racial and economic persecution. They do not believe that even assuming certain kinds of panhandling is simply a nuisance it is a significant problem to those feeling threatened. They reject the notion that such a problem can have any regulatory solution.

There is poverty and there is criminality. Solutions must be sought for both, not overlooked for either. We are not at the stage where this society is about to tackle the problems of poverty and the underclass. Yet, criminality still needs to be addressed.

Whether "aggressive panhandling" should be considered criminal, or simply as mischievous or harmlessly unpleasant, is something for society to determine. That is what I feel is at issue here.

Finally, I don't believe that the ordinance at hand can be effectively enforced (Will police be permanently stationed at hotspots of panhandling?), and it is therefore largely ineffective, hence useless, except possibly as a dissuasive element. How dissuasive will it be? For that we need data.

--mkb