[Peace] If restorative circle systems can work in the high violent crime areas of Brazil, perhaps we can explore these systems here in Champaign, Illinois. Our current justice system leaves so much to be desired.

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:18:49 CDT 2011

In the mid 1990's, Dominic Barter began working with local communities
in the favela shanty towns of Rio de Janeiro. He began to develop ways
of responding to crime, conflict and broken agreements in a way that
led to increased connection, safety and well being.  A process emerged
which has now been applied in communities, schools, families, courts,
prisons, police stations, universities, social services, churches,
local government and businesses in several Brazilian states and a
further 14 countries.

Known as Restorative Circles, this systemic approach guides
communities to consciously choose their justice system - proactively
preventing or diminishing harm while also giving all those involved a
real-life experience of the practical power of nonviolence.

Learning from the roots and development of Restorative Justice and
guided by the principles and practice of Nonviolent Communication,
Restorative Circles support dialogue grounded in open-hearted clarity
and tangible power-sharing. The process and its results open up
transformative possibilities for social justice, group cohesion,
resilient relationships and healing — interconnected and vital
elements of a culture of peace.

For more information about Restorative Circles, visit www.restorativecircles.org

--
-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain