[Peace] Organizing Against Abuse of Power Locally and Globally: Thai media activist to speak with local civil rights group

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ucimc.org
Mon Jun 27 22:47:01 CDT 2011

Saturday, July 9, 2011
at the Independent Media Center
4-6 pm discussion
6 pm potluck

CU Citizens for Peace and Justice will be hosting Thai media activist Chiranuch
"Jiew" Premchaiporn. Jiew is known internationally for her pending freedom
of speech case where she faces up to 50 years in jail for "cyber
crimes" related to operating an open publishing website. Jiew directs
Prachatai <http://www.prachatai.com/english/> (meaning Free People) which
regularly reports on abuses of power and social justice efforts.  Learn more
about her case from the NY
Times<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/world/asia/02thai.html>,
Amnesty International<http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/trial-thai-web-forum-moderator-jeopardizes-freedom-expression-2011-02-09>
, Electronic Frontier
Foundation<http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/02/trial-independent-media-pioneer-chiranuch>
, and Free Speech Radio
News<http://fsrn.org/audio/thailand-targets-%E2%80%9Ccyber-crime%E2%80%9D/4365>
.

In addition, we will be sharing local efforts to end abuses of power
including updates on:

   - *New Copwatch Website* for CU where residents can report and map
community-police
   interactions: http://cucopo.crowdmap.com
   - *Secure Communities Act* and immigrant detainees at the County Jail
   - The Proposed* Expansion of the County Jail*

We hope you can join us to meet Ms. Premchaiporn, an inspirational woman who
has put brought world-wide focus on Thailand's movements for social change,
and learn about local efforts to end abuses of power.

Hosted by CU Citizens for Peace and Justice <http://cucpj.org/>.
Co-sponsored by the School for Designing a
Society<http://www.designingasociety.net/>
.

(If you are interested in cosponsoring email Danielle Chynoweth at
chyn at ucimc.org).