[Peace] PJI and friends // Interview with Kathy Kelly

MartyneConrad Wetzel mc-wetzel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:24:41 CST 2011

To: PJI and other friends
From: Conrad Wetzel
Re: Interview with Kathy Kelly

Dear friends,

I recently had the privilege of sitting down with Kathy Kelly for an interview on Urbana Public Television. She co-ordinates the peace-promoting organization, Voices for Creative Nonviolence.

She traveled to Afghanistan three times in 2010 with small delegations intent on learning more about conditions faced by ordinary people in Afghanistan, a country afflicted by three decades of warfare. Voices for Creative Nonviolence has been working closely with the Afghan Youth Peace Volunteers in search of non-military solution to end the war.

Voices for Creative Nonviolence has deep, long-standing roots in active nonviolent resistance to U.S. war-making. Begun in the summer of 2005, Voices draws upon the experiences of those who challenged the brutal economic sanctions imposed by the U.S. and U.N. against the Iraqi people between 1990 and 2003. You can learn more about Voices for Creative Nonviolence at their website:
http://vcnv.org/speaker-bio/kathy-kelly

I met Kathy Kelly when she spoke at the Friday Forum on February 18, after which I took her to the UPTV studio for the interview, which can be viewed in the video shown above.

On Friday evening, she spoke at the Mennonite Church for a meeting that was open to the public of Champaign-Urbana, where she was received with much appreciation and admiration.

Below is a poem written by Abdulai, a 15 year old Afghan student and farmer, as given on the website:
http://www.livewithoutwars.org/

I see the unchanging System of the Rich and Powerful
in which my world is Violently collapsing,
and human hope for a decent life leaves my heart.
So, in solidarity with the People of Tunisia, Egypt, Iraq, Gaza,
the Middle East, North & South America, Europe, Africa and Asia,
& with the People of the world,
I will walk for peace
I will light my candles
& I will plant my trees—Abdulai, 15 year old Afghan student and farmer

In peace and friendship,
Conrad Wetzel