[Peace] talk: Using Restorative Justice to Heal Race Relations and Other Community Conflicts

Dianna Visek chair at lpchampaign.org
Fri Mar 4 13:52:45 CST 2011

At 7 pm on Thursday March 10, 2011 in the auditorium of the Urbana Free Library, the Champaign Co. Libertarian Party will host a talk by Mikhail Lyubansky on "Using Restorative Justice to Heal Race Relations and Other Community Conflicts."

For those of us living in the United States, "doing justice" is mostly synonymous with administering punishment. Indeed, many of us would be hard pressed even to imagine an alternative justice system.

Yet alternatives abound in the form of restorative justice.  Whereas conventional systems ask "Who is at fault?" and "What's the appropriate punishment?", restorative systems ask "What harm was done?" and "How do we repair it?" The difference is not just linguistic, but creates the opportunity for genuine healing.

Restorative justice has implications across a wide range of contexts, from schools to family courts, from criminal justice systems to community relations. What would our communities and their institutions look like if they used restorative practices?

Psychology professor and restorative circle practitioner Mikhail Lyubansky will share one particular restorative practice, called restorative circles, which has been used in many parts of the world to transform how people engage with conflict and with each other.

The talk is free and open to the public, with refreshments and time for questions.

The Champaign Co. Libertarian Party meets at 7 pm on the second Thursday of each month, generally in the auditorium of the Urbana Free Library. The library would like us to inform you that they do not sponsor our programs.

For further information, please contact Dianna Visek at 217-367-5027 or chair @lpchampaign.org.