[Peace] action of the week / contact senators Re: Section 1034 of "Defense Authorization" bill

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 12:32:56 CDT 2011

Peace List:
This is our action of the week:
Contact your two U.S. senators about HR 1540 Section 1034, asking them
to remove section 1034.
Or use the online form provide by Roots-Action: http://bit.ly/jfWX0t

Last Thursday, the House of Representatives had the chance to pass an
amendment that would have removed Section 1034, but in a very close
vote, the amendment was defeated.

This week the Senate must get rid of it.

HR 1540 Section 1034.
This section gives presidents from here on out virtually limitless
power to make wars and to lock people in prison indefinitely -- "maybe
the worst changes ever made to our federal government" -- undoing the
War Powers Act, the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence.

CONTACT YOUR TWO SENATORS NOW via this petition to oppose Section
1034. http://bit.ly/jfWX0t  (
http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6503/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4183
)

Subject: Say No to Worldwide War - Oppose Section 1034

[Editable letter:]
Dear Senator,

I strongly encourage you to remove Section 1034 from the Defense
Authorization Act of 2012.  This section gives presidents from here on
out virtually limitless power to make wars and to lock people in
prison -- maybe the worst change ever made to our federal government
-- undoing the War Powers Act, the Constitution, and the Declaration
of Independence.

And President Obama says he doesn't want these powers.

On Thursday, in a very close vote, the House defeated an amendment
that would have removed Section 1034.

The duty to preserve Article I of the Constitution now rests with the Senate.

Sincerely,

Or:
Durbin, Richard J. - (D - IL)	Class II
711 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
phone: (202) 224-2152; fax: (202) 228-0400
Web form for generic contact: http://durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact

Kirk, Mark - (R - IL)	Class III
524 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2854
Web form for generic contac: http://kirk.senate.gov/?p=comment_on_legislation