[Peace] Events this week (Sat 11/26 through Wed 12/1): Occupy C-U, Class Politics teach-in, Immigration Forum

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 20:54:45 CST 2011

The Occupy C-U group is demonstrating *tomorrow*, 9-11am Sat 11/26, at
Market Place Mall, starting at the JC Penney entrance, and falling back
to the parking lot entrance if need be:

     http://www.facebook.com/events/329806117036156/

     "In solidarity with the Occupation of Wall Street and other
occupations around the country that are standing up to voice resistance
against the corporate hijacking of our government, we will be occupying
a different street corner in Urbana-Champaign every Saturday for the
purpose of telling people about the Occupation and its purpose and
goals. The media has done a poor and misleading job of covering the
Occupation and our concerns, so we have to do the job ourselves."

More events:

Monday 11/28, 7:30PM  - IMC basement (School for Designing a Society room)
    Meeting of Occupy C-U's Outreach committee

Wednesday 11/30, 7:00PM - La Casa Cultural Latina (1203 W. Nevada, U.)
    Rethinking the Return of Class Politics / a teach in with Prof. C.
E. Lang
    (professor of History and African American Studies at U of Illinois)

Thursday 12/1,  7:00PM - Champaign Public Library
    C-U Immigration Forum Discussion
> "Secure Communities" is a controversial federal program that engages
> local police in enforcing immigration laws. Although "Secure
> Communities" was advertised as an initiative to catch and deport
> dangerous criminals, it has instead led to the detainment and
> deportation of many non-criminal immigrants in our community. In fact,
> locally, over 70% of those arrested and detained are non-criminal
> immigrant neighbors in Champaign County.

Friday 12/2, 6:00pm - 9:00pm - Champaign Public Library
    Occupy C-U General Assembly meeting, in Robeson room "C"