[Peace] Fw: Protest former Senator Alan Simpson at UIC Tuesday

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 13:20:26 CDT 2011

In case this reaches anyone in Chicago, or can be forwarded. The event referred to is: http://igpa.uillinois.edu/content/former-us-senator-alan-simpson-deliver-douglas-lecture
Oppose former Senator Alan Simpson

>on Tuesday at 4:30 in UIC Student Center
  East
>          Simpson, who is for robbing the  people to pay even more to the rich, is speaking at UIC as part of being  honored by the University of Illinois.
>>
>>     Simpson was co-chair of the powerful Commission
  on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, which recommended sweeping cuts to Social
  Security and Medicare. These programs are cherished by a majority in this
  nation. The $1.1 TRILLION+ military budget was not recommended for cuts. The
  US imperial war machine accomplishes only rivers of blood of people around the
  world with the goal of added profit for  US  corporations. CEOs on
  Wall Street are not required to return their ill-gotten gains.

>>      The Supercommittee of 12
  set up in Congress to manage this program end-runs the Constitutional mandate
  that fiscal bills originate in the House of Representative. And this committee
  completely evades even what still passes for checks and balances in the US
  Congress-- 535-bought-and- paid-for-by-corporate-America-stoolies.

>>     It is no accident
  that President Obama appointed Simpson to head the Commission panel. It is no
  accident that the U of I is inviting him to speak, is taking a position
  against the interests of the people and the tax payers who fund it. We should
  oppose this support for more robbery of the people’s treasury by the rich, and
  oppose this further development of fascist rule in the U.S.

>>     This political
  attack is a reflection of the U.S. governmental structure, directed by
  “corporate personhood” that is hopelessly out of touch with the needs of 99%
  of the people. It eliminates even a hint of basic democracy of, for, or by the
  people. It represents the continued absence of power by the people, who should
  be the ones to exercise decision-making power.

>>     This call for protest and statement is from the
  Ad Hoc Committee to Oppose Simpson at UIC. We are  in support of
  the occupations taking place in cities across the country, including Chicago
  (occupychi.org). These occupations are trying to draw attention to and protest
  the corrupting influence of the corporate-run state. We also support the
  opposition to U.S. wars of aggression and military-adventurist-imperial
  intrigues around the globe, and think organizing against and stopping the U.S.
  wars– with all the resources it draws off and wastes – should be a fundamental
  plank in the occupy movements all over.

>>     We are among those organizing to confront and
  protest G8 and NATO when they convene in Chicago in May, 2012.  We are
  for empowerment of the people! We work for social and economic justice for
  all! And for an environmentally sustainable world.

>>     You may reach us at ActforJustice at Aol.comor call  773.250.3335. We invite and encourage everyone to come out and oppose this  speech by Simpson on Tuesday, October 18, 4:30 at UIC Student Center East,  Illinois Room, 750 S. Halsted. If you want to go into the program, the  University has asked you to rsvp at  866.794.3340.
>>
>>     As Frederick Douglass said: Power  concedes nothing without a
demand.