[Peace] I highly recommend a movie at the Art Theater: Tambien La Lluvia (Even The Rain) It plays one more time, Thursday, September 29, 6pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:54:05 CDT 2011

Dear Peace,

I highly recommend a movie at the Art Theater: Tambien La Lluvia (Even
The Rain)
It plays one more time, Thursday, September 29, 6pm
This film is part of the 2011 Latin American Film Festival happening at the Art.

In this fictional movie, a film crew arrives in Bolivia to make a
cheap film about the conquest of Latin America. While filming, the
local community is protesting the privatization of water -- based on
true events in 2000 when such protests rocked the nation. Several
aspects of the film intrigued me: 1) The way they managed to portray
some of the complexities of Columbus, Father Bartolomé de las Casas,
and Father Antonio de Montesinos (whom I knew nothing about before
seeing this film); 2) The brilliant use of two nuanced conversations
to which the film crew is uniquely privy; 3) Some truly unforgettable
scenes. Paralleling 1511 and 2011 is the most obvious plot, but some
parts are much much deeper than this. The film is subtitled in
English.