[Peace] Social Justice film [at Channing-Murray -- I think] Wednesday, April 4, 7pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:55:26 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, Apr. 4th, at 7 pm, the fourth event in the Social Justice
Series will start at 7 pm.  The event features a screnning and follow-up
discussion of The Economics of Happiness.

The film describes a world moving simultaneously in two opposing
directions. On the one hand, an unholy alliance of governments and big
business continues to promote globalization and the consolidation of
corporate power. At the same time, people all over the world are resisting
those policies, demanding a re-regulation of trade and finance—and, far
from the old institutions of power, they’re starting to forge a very
different future. Communities are coming together to re-build more human
scale, ecological economies based on a new paradigm – an economics of
localization.  The good news is that as we move in this direction we will
begin not only to heal the earth but also to restore our own sense of
well-being. The Economics of Happiness challenges us to restore our faith
in humanity, challenges us to believe that it is possible to build a better
world.

This event is free and open to the public; light refreshments will be
served.

Co-sponsored by Channing Murray, the Social Action Committee of the UU
Church, the University YMCA, Urbana-Champaign Friends Meeting.

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark
Twain