[Peace] Demonstration Saturday (hot!); support Bradley Manning, not Michelle Bachmann; Farmer's Market help?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:58:07 UTC 2012

Tomorrow is the first Saturday of the month, so AWARE + Occupy C-U will
be demonstrating against endless warmaking at the usual first-Sat street
corner,

     Main & Neil, downtown Champaign
     2-4PM, Saturday August 4th

It will be *hot*.  If you feel like joining us even for a little while,
that's great.  Bring water, a hat, maybe a parasol if you do.

Two current petitions that look important - please see what you think of
them:
  1)
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Save_human_rights_whistleblower_Bradley_Manning/?cCTAqdb
     In support of Bradley Manning, whistleblower, accused of leaking
information that exposed our machinery of war in Iraq and Afghanistan,
revealing widespread human rights abuses, and shown up corruption and
collusion of governments and corporations.
     This Administration has come down very hard on whistleblowers,
especially Manning, and are seeking to make an example of him.

     Signing this soon could raise its profile in Avaaz so that many
more people become aware of the issue - and the government, though it
doesn't admit it, has already shown that it can be sensitive to public
pressure about Manning's case.

... and ...

    2)  from Just Foreign Policy, condeming US Rep. Michelle Bachmann
for standing by her baseless accusations that prominent government
officials are part of a Muslim Brotherhood plot to infiltrate the US
Government, and calling for her removal from the House Intelligence
Committee:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/No_Intelligence_for_fools_Boot_Rep_Bachmann_from_House_Intelligence_Committee/

Finally, we can always use a hand at the Farmer's Market, this Saturday
or others.  This Sat we have the middle shift well covered, thanks to
Ron, Carol and Pat! But if anyone can be there from 10:40 to noon, or 8
to 9, you'd be welcome.