[Peace] 5:30 Tonight (Thu) - Interfaith Vigil of Remembrance and Solidarity With Oak Creek and Joplin Tragedies

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:24:32 UTC 2012

*Interfaith Vigil of Remembrance and Solidarity*

*With Oak Creek and Joplin Tragedies*

5:30pm, Thursday, August 9^th

Start: University YMCA (1001 S. Wright St.)

Close: Alma Mater Plaza (Green and Wright)

In Oak Creek, Wisconsin, a gunman opened fire at a Sikh gurdwara,
killing 6 people and injuring 3 others during Sunday services. On
Monday, a mosque in Joplin, Missouri was burned for a second time in two
months.  This vigil is an attempt to bring together members of the
Champaign-Urbana community to remember the victims of this violence and
stand together in solidarity against acts of domestic terrorism and
intolerance. The vigil will begin at University YMCA (1001 S. Wright
St.)  at 5:30pm and continue to Alma Mater space at Green and Wright
concluding with a speak out and moment of silence. This event is
co-sponsored by the Sikh Student Association, DiversityEd, Interfaith in
Action, Baha’I Center, Asian American Cultural Center, La Casa Cultural
Latina, Women’s Resources Center, and the Office of Inclusion and
Intercultural Relations. For more information, contact Masood at
Masood at uiucinterfaith.org <mailto:Masood at uiucinterfaith.org>

*Berenice S**ánchez*

*Assistant Director*

*/La Casa Cultural Latina /*• */Office of Inclusion and Intercultural
Relations
/*1203 West Nevada Street, MC-145 • Urbana, Illinois 61801
p. (217) 300-0204 • e. _bsanchz at illinois.edu
<mailto:bsanchz at illinois.edu>_ •  w. _www.go.illinois.edu/lacasa
<http://go.illinois.edu/lacasa>_

*/“We must live together as brothers, or perish together as fools.”/***

*****-**Martin Luther King, Jr.***