[Peace] [Peace-discuss] AWARE mtg Sunday Feb. 12

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 9 00:26:41 CST 2012

I agree, particularly in the light of the leaked "Report of the Head
of the League of Arab States Observer Mission to Syria for the period
from 24
December 2011 to 18 January 2012" <http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/Report_of_Arab_League_Observer_Mission.pdf
 >.

It's discussed in the following:

<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NB04Ak01.html>

<http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/02/guest-post-independent-report-contradicts-western-portrait-of-syria.html
 >.

Most recently, Pepe Escobar in ATO:

"...The bulk of Washington elites see regime change in Syria as a
crucial way to hurt Iran. So this goes way beyond Syria. It's about
shattering the Iranian regime, which is not a Western satrapy; energy
flows from the Middle East to the West; the West's grip on the GCC and
the intersection between the Arab and Persian worlds; and preserving
the role of the petrodollar. Syria-Iran is a now a titanic match
between NATOGCC and Russia/China - to try to expel them from the
Middle East..."

<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NB09Ak02.html>.

See also

    <http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/03/cynicism-around-syria/>