[Peace] Friday, 11:45am: "Get Big $ out of Politics / We're Citizens, Corporations Aren't" rally, Vine & Elm, Urbana; and Thu 7pm teach-in

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:50:23 CST 2012

This*Friday, Jan. 20th,* at*11:45AM* at Vine and Elm - near the Federal
courthouse in downtown Urbana - Occupy CU will hold a rally:

*Corporations are not people.
     Money is not speech.*

(See also the *Teach-in* on Thu. eve. - details below.)

**It's not news that money talks. Corporations and the fat cats have way
too much political power.
That old problem has taken a big turn for the worse.

The richest 1% have *doubled* their slice of national income since 1980,
so they buy a lot more influence.

In the Citizens United decision, two years ago, the Supreme Court threw
out almost all laws limiting corporate money in politics, saying that
corporations are "persons" with the same rights as actual citizens.

Of course some politicians are just plain stooges of the big
corporations, but all politicians hesitate to make any moves that would
bother their big contributors.   On every issue -- taxes, jobs, energy,
environment, war, local university funding... -- our government
is being held hostage to corporate greed.

*So /we/ get the policies that **/they/ pay for.
*
Occupy Champaign-Urbana will illustrate - with talks, signs and street
theater - how corporations are not people, and indict corporations for
undermining democracy by operating as legal persons when they are
actually institutions of power under the control of the 1%.

Corporations are not people. Money is not speech. We are the 99%, we are
people, and we are making our voices heard.

-----
And, the preceding evening -- *Thursday, Jan. 19th, at 7:00PM *-- Occupy
the Quad presents
the third in their series of teach-ins,

*The Myth of Corporate Personhood*
     7PM Thu 1/19  La Casa Cultural Latina, 1203 W. Nevada, U.

With the myth of corporate personhood as a starting point, A. Belden
Fields, Emeritus Professor of Political Science, will tackle some of the
most pervasive myths about corporations that have been legitimized in
our political and legal systems.

https://www.facebook.com/events/290052161036274/