[Peace] Education Justice Project event / Saturday, October 13, 7pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 05:06:11 UTC 2012

The Education Justice Project provides educational programs to men
incarcerated at Danville Correctional Center.

Education Justice Project's first benefit ever is this Saturday, October
13. Please attend. This event is for everyone who supports EJP's mission of
building a model prison education program that addresses shared concerns
about mass incarceration, educational inequities, generational
disadvantages, and the punitive ethos of our society. There will be a
presentation, refreshments, and an opportunity to mix and meet friends old
and new.

Where: Quaker Meeting House / 1904 E. Main Street, Urbana
When: Saturday, October 13, 2012 / 7pm

===
Harvest Wire
The launch of the newest EJP student publication, will be on Tuesday
October 9 at 5pm at the University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright Street, Champaign.
The writing in this volume is moving--a mix of laugh-out-loud funny,
bitter, poignant, and mournful. The authors videotaped themselves reading
from their pieces; you can view their readings and get copies of the
journal (free) at the event.

RSO Meeting
The Education Justice Project's RSO (registered student organization) will
meet on Friday October 12 from 1 - 2 at 805 W. Pennsylvania Ave, Urbana.
We'll be discussing upcoming events and making plans for November. Please
RSVP because we're ordering pizza and want to make sure we have enough.
(Please note, this event was formerly advertised incorrectly as being on
Thursday.)  RSVP: rginsbur at illinois.edu

EJP Benefit
The Urbana-Champaign Friends Meeting (Quakers) is hosting EJP's first
benefit! Please join us at 1904 E. Main Street, Urbana (near the Humane
Society) from 7 - 8:30pm on Saturday October 13, 2012. There will be home
baked desserts and opportunity to learn more about EJP and how you can
support it. All forms of support are valuable and welcome. Child care will
be available, so bring the whole family. Please RSVP to Kristen Smith:
kcsmith5 at illinois.edu

EJP students in an Education Policy Studies class taught by Erin Castro
debate US education policy at Danville prison, facilitated by adjunct
Education faculty Rob Scott (far right). The students' discussion was
videotaped and will be shown by Dr. Castro at an upcoming national
Education conference.

 Higher education in prison reduces recidivism, saves the state money,
creates safer prison environments for staff and incarcerated people alike,
and promotes public safety. It also improves life prospects for the
families of incarcerated people and restores hope. All contributions, from
the smallest to the largest, will help.

Please send your donations to:
Education Justice Project
University of Illinois
805 W. Pennsylvania Ave. MC-057
Urbana, IL 61801

Rebecca Ginsburg
Director, Education Justice Project
Associate Professor, Education and Landscape Architecture
 University of Illinois
805 West Pennsylvania Ave, #109 (MC-057)
Urbana, IL 61801
217-265-6737
www.educationjustice.net

--
-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark