[Peace] This Saturday [Oct 20] - Music for Manning (Springfield, IL)

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 06:03:07 UTC 2012

Short notice...

--- On Fri, 10/19/12, Courage to Resist <courage at riseup.net> wrote:

From: Courage to Resist <courage at riseup.net>
Subject: This Saturday - Music for Manning (Springfield, IL)
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Friday, October 19, 2012, 3:44 PM

Hello Jenifer,
Just a final reminder about the exciting event planned in your area tomorrow.

Central Illinois Musicians, Activists, and Artists to gather in support of the release of Bradley Manning. Manning, who was subjected to “cruel and inhumane” (according to a UN Rapporteur on Torture) conditions in the Marine Corps Brig in Quantico, Virginia, is accused of releasing to Wikileaks the famous Collateral Murder video, the Afghan War Diary, and the Iraq War Logs, which reveal war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the U.S. Diplomatic Cables, which helped spark the Tunisian revolution.

To protest the charges against Bradley, for which he faces the possibility of life in prison (being charged with a capital offense), community members from across Central Illinois will gather for a day of music, speakers, art, and community. Currently 24 yr-old Bradley is held in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and has been awaiting trial for more than 860 days. In addition to working to create a dialogue to call attention to the mistreatment of Manning, and the military’s attempts to use him as an example to suppress war crime whistle-blowers; Music for Manning seeks to support the goals of international democracy, government accountability, and the humane treatment of prisoners.

"Help us sound the alarms that we have built from our history as we draw awareness to the plight of Bradley Manning with some of the area’s best live, local music and some truly awe-inspiring speakers.” said Josh Bailey of Prairie Asunder. “All donations to Bradley Manning's Defense Fund are currently being matched by a benefactor, so we can accomplish some real progress for Bradley right in our own backyard." Musical acts The Josie Lowder Band, Tom Irwin, Jeff Williams, The Chris Maxey Trio and more will be providing entertainment. With 3-time Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Kathy Kelly, Dr. Richard Gilman-Opalsky, Greg Bishop of WMAY, a member of Vietnam Veterans Against The War and others will be speaking throughout the day.

Get all of the current info in a digital flyer at http://manning.prairieasunder.com.

WHAT: Music for Manning

WHEN: Saturday October 20, 2012 – 1:00-9:30pm

WHERE: Douglas Park - Springfield, IL
For more information, contact: Josh Bailey – (217) 827-9969 – MusicForManning at gmail.com

Our goal is to raise awareness about the U.S. Military and Obama Administration’s attempts to suppress a whistle-blower. For more information on the conditions surrounding Bradley Manning’s charges and imprisonment, please visit http://www.couragetoresist.org/ and www.bradleymanning.org/.