[Peace] Fwd: Important jail Vote at the County Board Meeting This Thursday!

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 03:58:33 UTC 2012

Forwarding a message from Brook and the opposition to expanding the jail...

*Hello friends and colleagues!*
*
*
Please forward this email to anyone you think might be interested.
*
*
*As you may already know, this summer the Champaign County Board solicited
bids for a project to expand the county jail system. In response to a
request for proposals four firms submitted bids. ILPP was the top-ranked
firm during the RFP process. At the last county board meeting the board
voted for ILPP to do a needs assessment for the county rather than moving
directly to planning an expansion. ILPP was the only firm that did not have
direct ties with architects and engineers who would be making money off the
construction of a new jail. In addition, ILPP seemed most interested in
community participation and alternatives to incarceration.
This vote would not have had this positive outcome were it not for the
public pressure and education that this community brought to the board.

A vote to confirm this decision will take place at the next County Board
Meeting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 20th at Brookens Administrative
Building, 1776 E. Washington. Please consider attending the meeting and
call or email your county board members, or all county board members to let
them know your perspective.

Here is a sample message you can use for any county board member:

In the coming vote on Thursday I encourage you to vote for ILPP. It is
important that a thorough needs assessment be taken so that we don't idly
spend money, but actually meet the needs of this county. I believe that
ILPP is the firm that will do this and will help us make Champaign county a
safer place to live.

Thank you for your work.

Sincerely,

All democrats voted for ILPP, so if your district is democratic, this is a
sample message you can use:

I am writing to thank you for voting for ILPP in the Committee meeting of
September 4th. I am hopeful that you will continue your support for ILPP in
the upcoming board meeting.  It is important that a thorough needs
assessment be taken so that we don't idly spend money, but actually meet
the needs of this county. I believe that ILPP is the firm that will do this
and will help us make Champaign county a safer place to live.
Thank you for your work.

Sincerely,

Here is a list of board member emails:

carolammons at gmail.com,
 carter41030 at gmail.com,
 pattsi2 at gmail.com,
 mcrchrds at hotmail.com,
 grosales at nitrogendesign.com,
 2jaba at comcast.net,
 akurtz8 at comcast.net,
 cweibel at co.champaign.il.us,
 cpiusweibel at hotmail.com,
 thomasbtz197 at gmail.com,
 rlangenh at hotmail.com,
 astridjb at comcast.net,
 alix at prairiecity.com,
 brendan at brendanmcginty.com,
 james at jamesquisenberry.com

For more county board member contact info go to:
.
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/government_bodies/countyboard_members.html<http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/government_bodies/countyboard_members.html>

*

--
brook celeste
emailbrook at gmail.com
845-594-9065

--
-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark