[Peace] THE MOST ACCLAIMED DOCUMENTARY OF 2012 / "The House I Live In" Free showing: Tuesday, February 5, 2013; 7:30pm

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 02:38:45 UTC 2013

Film: "The House I Live In"
Free showing: Tuesday, February 5, 2013; 7:30pm
Non-free showing: Wednesday, February 6; 7:30pm
Art Theatre (downtown Champaign)

THE MOST ACCLAIMED DOCUMENTARY OF 2012
Comprehensive in scope, heart wrenching in its humanity, and brilliant
in its thesis, Jarecki’s new film grabs viewers and shakes them to
their core. The House I Live In is not only the definitive film on the
failure of America’s drug war, but it is also a masterpiece filled
with hope and the potential to effect change. This film is surely
destined for the annals of documentary history.
- SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL 2012

 Eugene Jarecki, director of the terrific Why We Fight, shifts his
focus from the military industrial complex to the War on Drugs in this
documentary exploring the risks that prohibition poses to freedom, and
the tragedy of addicts being treated as criminals. The House I Live In
has received rave reviews since its release, winning the Sundance
Documentary Grand Jury Prize.

In the four decades since the War on Drugs commenced, over 45 millions
of addicts have been arrested - and for each one jailed, another
family is destroyed. Meanwhile, the prisons in America are growing
overcrowded with non-violent criminals, and illegal drugs are still
being sold in schoolyards. By examining just where it all went wrong,
Jarecki reveals that a solution is possible if we can just find it in
ourselves to be compassionate, and see past the decades of paranoia
and propaganda.

We're doing two screenings of the film: Tuesday, we're doing a FREE
screening with spokespersons for the Champaign Urbana Citizens for
Peace and Justice (CUCPJ), who will speak about local efforts to end
the War on Drugs and stop jail expansion. We're doing an additional
show on Wednesday. Both shows are at 7:30.

(Rated R) 108 mins