[Peace] Social Justice Films at Channing Murray: 9/30 "The Health Care Movie"; 10/7 "Harvest of Empire"

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 17 22:15:33 UTC 2013

Films at Channing Murray: "The Health Care Movie" on Sep. 30th, and
"Harvest of Empire" on Oct. 7th:

Subject: 	Social Justice Films at Channing Murray
Date: 	Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:45:12 -0500
From: 	Szoke, Claire O <cszoke at illinois.edu>

Hi All:

This is to invite you to our upcoming screening/discussion of two
documentaries at Channing Murray -  one on healthcare andthe other on
immigration issues.  Please come if you have the time and interest and
pass the word along to friends, family andcolleagues.

Claire Szoke

Channing Murray Foundation

*UU SOCIAL JUSTICE FILM SERIES*

*The Health Care Movie: screening/discussion*

*Monday, September 30, 6:30-9 p.m.*

*Channing Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, U.*

*Free and open to the public.  Light refreshments will be served.*

This film, narrated by Kiefer Sutherland, discusses the need for single
payer health care for all. The issue of healthcare in America goes far
beyond a line in the budget. It reaches into the center of the American
soul and answers the question, "How in the world do we want to treat
each other?"  In Canada, health-care is regarded as a social service,
and treated as a responsibility of the government, to be provided to
every citizen. Not so in the United States.  The Health Care Movie
considers how it came to be that the two systems ended up in such
different places. It explores the health care system in Canada: how it
came to be, how it works for ordinary Canadians, how it is paid for, and
how it compares to its American counterpart.

*Co-sponsored by: The Social Action Committee of the UU Church,
University YMCA, Champaign County Health Care Consumers, Central
Illinois Jobs with Justice, and the Peace and Service Committee of the
U-C Friends Meeting*

*UU SOCIAL JUSTICE FILM SERIES*

*Harvest of Empire:  screening/discussion*

*Monday, October 7, 6:30-9 p.m.*

*Channing Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, U.*

*Free and open to the public.  Light refreshments will be served.*

At a time of heated and divisive debate over immigration, the new
feature-length documentary, "Harvest of Empire," examines the direct
connection between the long   history of U.S. intervention in Latin
America and the immigration crisis we face today.  Based on the
groundbreaking book by award-winning journalist and Democracy Now!
co-host Juan González, "Harvest of Empire" takes an unflinching look at
the role that U.S. economic and military interests played in triggering
an unprecedented wave of migration that is transforming our nation's
cultural and economic landscape.

*Co-sponsored by: The Social Action Committee of the UU Church,
University YMCA, CU-Immigration Forum, La Casa Cultural Latina, Allies
of Faith, Central Illinois Jobs with Justice, and the Peace and Service
Committee of the U-C Friends Meeting*

**