[Peace] "Dirty Business" (coal and our energy future) Mon 4/7, and Helping Low-Wage Workers, Sat 4/12, both at Channing-Murray

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 23:04:41 EDT 2014

Two events at Channing-Murray Foundation (1209 W. Oregon St, Urbana)
this week:

*6:30-8:30PM, Monday, April 7th*
film on "clean" coal and the battle for our energy future:

*"Dirty Business"*

    Half of our electricity comes from coal, the largest single source
    of greenhouse gases.   But it doesn't have to be that way.
    Featuring stories from China to W.Virginia, "Dirty Business" reveals
    the true social and environmental costs of coal power and explores
    the murky realities of "clean coal" technology.   Guided by Rolling
    Stone reporter Jeff Goodell, the film highlights the work of energy
    innovators and the viable, renewable alternatives they offer in an
    age of rapid climate change.

    Film followed by discussion.  (I'm told there will be someone from
    the local group Stand Up to Coal, and someone from Prairie Rivers,
    to facilitate the discussion.)    All welcome.   Light refreshments
    served.

*2-4PM, Saturday, April 12th (Social Justice forum of Channing-Murray)**
**Helping Low-Wage Workers*

    Join us for a discussion of the issues facing working class
    communities across America, incuding myths about low-wage workers;
    problems with measuring income adequacy and the history of a local
    living wage campaign; and current social justice efforts on behalf
    of low-wage workers, including the "Fight for $15".

    Panelists -

      * Ricky Baldwin, SEIU Local 73
      * Pat Simpson, Emeritus Professor of Industrial Relations, Loyola
        University
      * Belden Fields, Emeritus Professor of Political Science, U. of
        Illinois