[Peace] Fwd! The Barf Zine Tour @ the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center!

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 20:33:54 EDT 2014

Please circulate widely.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (UCIMC) is hosting the Barf
Zine!

*The Barf Zine Tour @ the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center *
*Sat. April 26th, 2014 | 2pm-4pm*
*202 S. Broadway Ave. Urbana 61801*

*About the Barf Zine Tour*
The Barf Zine is making its way across the Midwest to bring you rarely-
discussed blunt analysis, and personal anecdotes about body image, food,
eating disorders, and radical identities!

For far too long activists, communists, anarchists, feminists, and queers
have turned a blind eye to issues of body dysphoria, fatphobia, and eating
disorders. Our insistence that these problems exist only in the normative
culture silences the very real comrades, friends, lovers in our community
who struggle daily.

The Barf Zine is an anthology of personal narratives from the people in
these diverse communities that are tired of being quiet. We are speaking
out, and we want you to listen!

As an extra special treat, the Barf Zine Tour is pleased to welcome
zine contributor
Gus Allis and her short, one -woman play entitled "I Thought Fat Girls Were
Supposed to be Funny?" along for the ride. Through an intense, darkly
funny, brutal monologue, Allis addresses the audience and forces them to
examine the effects of fatphobia on one woman's life.

*More About Presenters*Kate Pleuss has acted in, co-produced and directed
plays with Insurgent Theatre from 2008 to 2013. She likes working on DIY
projects that have a point and get to it. She works with prisoners in Ohio
and enjoys writing short stories every once in a while. Kate grew up with
cats and chickens in WI and now lives in an itsy bitsy commune in Columbus
Ohio.

Gus Allis is a writer, performer, and storyteller based in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. Specializing in brutal, blunt prose, she enjoys changing minds
and opening hearts through emotional oversharing, TMI-filled monologues,
and mythological metaphors. When she was 5 years old, she cut off all the
eyelashes on one of her eyes because she wanted to see if it would make
half her face look like a boy. It didn't.