[Peace] Join us to speak out and march against sexual violence today and tomorrow!

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:08:14 EDT 2014

Hi friends,

In case you weren't already aware, April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
and there is a concerted effort in the campus and community led by RACES
and the Women's Resources Center to get the community actively
participating in consciousness raising around the prevalence of rape in our
communities. In that spirit, I want to invite you to attend two events
tonight and tomorrow:

*Short Skirts, Dark Streets: Writ n' Rhymed Poetic Arts Space | Open Mic *
*@ Women's Resources Center 703 S. Wright St. 2nd Floor, Champaign*
*7pm-9pm TONIGHT, April 23rd *

 Come to the Women's Resources Center at 7pm and join us for a Writ 'n
Rhymed centered around sexual assault awareness month. Today is Denim Day
so learn about the art project made for Denim Day. Come listen to and share
your own poems about victim blaming and street harassment to raise
awareness and break the silence.

Featuring work by:
Olivia Arredondo
Sydney Germaine
Cathy Lesmeister
Molly M. McLay
Rachel Lauren Storm
and more!

Held at the University of Illinois Women's Resources Center, Writ n' Rhymed
is a transformative poetic space created on select Wednesday nights at the
University of Illinois. It is a space for art, poetry, spoken word, music,
movement, prose, rhyme, performance, and critical engagement. It is
creativity at its finest.

Our mission is to provide a forum for poetry and other spoken word to the
University of Illinois campus community. It is open to anyone at any level
of poetry experience, and we welcome those who wish to share their own work
as well as the work of others (e.g. a favorite famous author).

Come bring your poetry, your friends, and/or your listening ears!

Free and open to the public. This event is part of Sexual Assault Awareness
Month programming.

*35th Annual *
*Take Back the Night *
*march and rally against sexual violence*
*April 24th, 2014 *

We will gather at 6:30p.m. at Anniversary Plaza on the University of
Illinois Quad (behind the Illini Union)

March begins at 7:00p.m. ending in front of the Champaign County Courthouse

Rally and speak out to follow

This event is open to everyone

For individuals who do not wish to march, we traditionally arrive at our
ending location between 7:45 and 8:15p.

**PARKING INFORMATION**
Metered parking can be found around the Quad. Krannert Center for the
Performing Arts on Goodwin Ave. has garage parking.

Champaign County Courthouse parking is 25cents for the first hour and
50cents for each additional hour. The lot IS ENFORCED after 5p.m.

Lincoln Square Mall has free parking. DO NOT park in the West lot (the
hotel lot), it is a tow away zone

**WEATHER INFORMATION**
We will march in inclement weather, barring lightening or other dangerous
conditions.

The rain location on the Quad is in the English Building Atrium. The
English Building is located on the North end of the Quad.

Alternate location for Courthouse is Lincoln Square Mall at our office in
the North Eat hallway near Charter Fitness

Questions? Contact Stephanie 344-6298