[Peace] May 13th - tell USEPA we want them to protect our aquifer!

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 16:55:05 EDT 2014

OcCUpiers, and peaceable people,

Here's a call to demonstrate on a local environmental issue.    If
you're willing to take part, and/or willing to help plan, make signs,
etc., please lemme know.

On Tuesday evening, May 13th, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Champaign, the
US EPA will hold a public hearing on the question of whether they should
grant "sole-source aquifer" protection to the Mahomet Aquifer.   More on
that below. [*]

We should be *out on the sidewalks* to greet them - to show the
Environmental Protection Agency that yes, we do want them to protect the
aquifer that provides drinking water for much of central Illinois,
including Champaign-Urbana!   And, we should take part in the hearing too.

Rough schedule -

We'd gather around 5:30-5:45, carrying signs, outside the Hilton Garden
Inn - near Kirby and State in Champaign.

At 6:30, inside the hotel, the EPA will hold an informational session
about the sole-source process and the Mahomet aquifer. That'd probably
mark the end of the demonstration part, I'm thinking - we'd either go
inside to hear what they have to say, or take off. But we can talk about
this.

At 7:30 will be the formal EPA public hearing.   Hope some of us will
decide to stay and speak to the issue.

[*] Sole source aquifer?
The USEPA can designate an aquifer as "sole source" if it's the primary
source of drinking water for the population living above it, and there'd
be no feasible replacement for it - which certainly seems to be true for
the Mahomet Aquifer.   A consortium of cities and counties, including
Champaign and Urbana, has applied to the EPA to give the Mahomet Aquifer
this status.   It would have some legal consequences, though not
everything we might want:

  * It /would/ entail special review of any future Federally-supported
    project that might affect the aquifer (and this could include some
    surprises, such as animal feedlots, which sometimes do get Federal
    funding).
  * It /wouldn't/ directly require such a review of our current big
    worry, the proposal to store toxic PCBs in the Clinton landfill,
    which overlies the aquifer - that is, we could succeed on Sole
    Source but still lose on having PCBs in the landfill.   However,
    those PCBs aren't currently permitted to be disposed of in Clinton -
    the USEPA is considering that question too, in a separate process.