[Peace] demonstration tomorrow, Sat, 2-4pm - No, we really don't need a war with Iran, and Yes, US workers do need unemployment benefits

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 02:49:16 UTC 2014

Winter it may be, but the wars and threat of more go on, so ...

please join AWARE for *any part of* our monthly anti-war demonstration

    2-4PM, Saturday, January 4th
    corner of Main and Neil, downtown Champaign

Two present causes -

A bipartisan move in Congress - led, among others, by our own Senator
Kirk - is pushing a bill that would undermine the Obama Administration's
negotiations with Iran.   The negotiations, if successful, would agree
on monitoring and limiting Iran's nuclear development in exchange for
some relief of sanctions.   AIPAC, and their allies in Congress, are
seeking to torpedo the negotiations - see e.g. M. J. Rosenberg's review
of the bill, S. 1881, here:

http://www.tikkun.org/tikkundaily/2013/12/19/another-aipac-bill-designed-to-get-us-into-a-war-with-iran/

Many groups have been speaking out against the bill, including Iraq
Veterans Against the War/Vietnam Veterans Against the War (who just
demonstrated outside Sen. Kirk's Chicago office this week); Just Foreign
Policy <http://justforeignpolicy.org/>; as well as liberal pro-Israel
groups such as Americans for Peace Now and J Street.

The Senate reconvenes next week.

It's important that our Senators know that pursuing this bill means
promoting war with Iran, and that that is something the American people
do not want.

Rather than promoting war, we should promote people.    As a late
Christmas present, millions of unemployed in the US found that the
extension of unemployment insurance had been allowed by Congress to
expire.    Some (including our Rep. Davis) say that offering
unemployment insurance makes it too easy for people to stay
unemployed.    We could better say that our economic recovery remains
mediocre, at best, that too many of the jobs that are created are poor
compared with those which were lost, and that there are still many more
job seekers than there are jobs for them.   We need unemployment
insurance, along with the whole suite of programs for social improvement
that our predecessors have fought for and so must we.

If you come by this Saturday, bundle up - it'll be a bit milder but very
windy.   In any case, whatever you do, speak out for peace!