[Peace] Film Fest: where view-ers become do-ers

Susan Parenti via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Tue Jul 29 21:11:37 EDT 2014

Hello friends: An emphasis of this festival is to encourage and inspire viewers to think of themselves as makers.

 Every night of the festival, prominent to the view, will be a huge sheet of paper, with dry erase markers—and Elizabeth Simpson inviting people to come up and write down ideas for films they wish someone (themselves?) would make.

What do we women want? (film to be?) what do we feminists want?  What do we ecologists want? What do we want as people living, locally (how else?) in Champaign Urbana? What do we want to see, as social justice advocates? As funsters, using the chaos of fun to trigger change? What messages do we crave to see, so that we are the change we wish to be?

A film showing, yearning to be a film-imagineering.

Join us in the yearning, imagineering.

You are invited to the First Annual Interdependent Film Festival: Women Make Movies
​

This ground-breaking, three-day festival (31 July - 2 August 2014) presents experimental and documentary films by women filmmakers from the  Champaign-Urbana area who explore the interconnections between art & immigration, language & health care, and ecofeminism & solidarity between people around the world. Besides great films, it also features gala opening and closing ceremonies, Q&A interdependency panels with filmmakers and community members, and food donated by local groups making a global difference in the south Central Illinois region.

Sponsored by the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center and the School for Designing a Society, you can see the film schedule here and below. Most events are 7:00pm with a noon matinee on 2 August.

Tickets and festival passes may be purchased here (seating will be limited; order early). Or you may donate to or help sponsor the event by contributinghere. Tickets are $15 ($7 low-income), with special laminated festival passes for $35.

Food as well as critical discussions with community members and filmmakers also provided. Don't miss out on this unique summer event for Champaign-Urbana.

​
​​