[Peace] Wed Nov. 12th, noon, CAS: "INSTITUTIONS of IMMIGRANT REMOVAL: THE RISE of the AMERICAN DEPORTATION REGIME"

Stuart Levy via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Fri Nov 7 14:37:44 EST 2014

Subject: Emily Pope-Obeda, Institutions of Immigrant Removal, Nov. 12
From:
Center for Advanced Study <cas at cas.uiuc.edu>

Center for Advanced Study 2014-2015
Interdisciplinary Initiative Retrospective
Focusing on the /Initiative on Immigration -- History and Policy//
/
*Emily Pope-Obeda* (History) will give a presentation in the /CAS
Interdisciplinary Initiative Retrospective/ entitled *INSTITUTIONS of
IMMIGRANT REMOVAL: THE RISE of the AMERICAN DEPORTATION REGIME*,
Wednesday, November 12.  The presentation starts at noon in the first
floor seminar room, Center for Advanced Study, 912 W. Illinois St., Urbana.

    In 2012, the U.S. deported almost 410,000 immigrants---the most in
    its history.  This talk traces the growth of America's deportation
    machinery from a small-scale effort aimed at eliminating specific
    immigrant "threats" to the massive and complex contemporary system,
    and explores the evolving politics and practice of expelling
    immigrants deemed undesirable for American society.

This presentation is free and open to the public.  For more information,
contact the Center for Advanced Study at 333-6729 or cas.illinois.edu

------------------

C*enter for Advanced Study Interdisciplinary Initiatives* offer campus
the opportunity to engage in a yearlong and in-depth conversation about
a topic relevant to our entire scholarly community.  For the
15th-anniversary year of this prestigious program, we have invited back
a few of our former CAS Resident Associates to reflect on the
initiatives they helped organize and how their work has evolved since.

/*The CAS Initiative on Immigration -- History and Policy*/ brought
together scholars in the social sciences, law, computer science,
engineering and humanities to explore new approaches to immigration and
its controversies. CAS Resident Associates Jim Barrett (History)
and Gale Summerfield (Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program)
led this initiative.

--
Center for Advanced Study
Phone: 217-333-6729