[Peace] SJP GBM Meeting: Doodle Poll, Preface to Meeting, and Updates

SJP UIUC via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Thu Sep 4 22:20:52 EDT 2014

Hey all,

We hope you're starting the semester off well. Thanks to those of you who
came out to the meeting last week! We hope you enjoyed it and that you're
as excited as we are for the upcoming year.
**To anyone who was not able to attend, it’s never too late to join our
organizing and engagement with the Israel-Palestine conflict. We'd love to
seeing old and new faces. Bring your friends!

 We'll primarily be discussing latest developments regarding:

   - the Professor Steven Salaita case (article links will be provided
   later in this email)
   - our BDS initiatives
   - events being planned

It'll be an opportunity for attendees to brainstorm ideas with Students for
Justice in Palestine for this semester, and the year as a whole. We would
like to reiterate our welcoming of any questions and comments from you all.
We encourage contribution in any way possible. The general body is just as
crucial in facilitating this semester and the next so feel free to express
any thoughts whatsoever.

We also welcome all faculty and community members to attend. These meetings
are not strictly for students only. We hope to build a connection across
campus and the Urbana-Champaign area. Feel free to join us.

**In order to get a date/time that works best for everyone next week, we've
included a doodle poll (*Please make sure to record your responses by
Saturday. 09/04/2014 at 8 pm*) :

*http://doodle.com/g82skiufwue59pf3* <http://doodle.com/g82skiufwue59pf3>

*IMPORTANT LINKS:*
Illinois chancellor says she should have “consulted with more people”
before firing Palestinian scholar
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/illinois-chancellor-says-she-should-have-consulted-more-people-firing-palestinian

Salaita emails reveal possible donor influence in Wise’s decision (includes
a Salaita timeline)
http://www.dailyillini.com/news/article_a2730e4e-33ec-11e4-bd55-0017a43b2370.html

Chancellor Wise says she would have handled Salaita’s case differently
http://www.dailyillini.com/news/article_2ee98b88-33e7-11e4-95de-001a4bcf6878.html

Salaita firing turns into a ‘catastrophe’ for University of Illinois
http://mondoweiss.net/2014/09/catastrophe-university-illinois.html

*Be sure to follow SJP UIUC on social networks. "Like" the numerous Support
Salaita pages to stay updated with all the efforts, statements and/or
changes.*

SJP UIUC Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SJP-UIUC/568877179845248

SJP UIUC Twitter Page

https://twitter.com/SJPUIUC

Support Salaita Page

https://www.facebook.com/supportsalaita?fref=ts

University of Illinois Students Support Steven Salaita Page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509674105938236/?fref=ts

National Day of Silence and UIUC Campus Walk-Out to #ReinstateSalaita Page

https://www.facebook.com/events/1529064230641082/?ref=22

We look forward to seeing everyone :)  Have a wonderful rest of the week.

In solidarity,

SJP UIUC