[Peace] Prof. Salaita on campus tomorrow! GBM, and Events this Week

SJP UIUC via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Mon Sep 8 18:52:12 EDT 2014

Hey everyone,

SJP UIUC and particularly the organizations who are leading the Support
Salaita campaign will be having numerous key events in the next few days.

****LATEST DEVELOPMENT*
*Press Conference:* Professor Salaita to Speak for First Time About Losing
Tenured Position Over Gaza Tweets
Professor Steven Salaita, faculty and students of the University of
Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (UIUC), and legal experts will hold a press
conference at *12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 9 at the University YMCA*
(located at Wright & Chalmers).
***Link to Facebook event: *
https://www.facebook.com/events/862236173801451/?notif_t=plan_edited

***Second General Body Meeting*
*Wednesday, Sept. 10th 6 pm *in *NOYES HALL *in ROOM 165. We'd love to see
old and new faces. Never too late to join or get active again!

****REMINDER: UIUC Campus Walk-Out & Day of Silence*
**Link to Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1529064230641082/
*Tomorrow (**Tuesday, 9/9)* will be recognized as a *Day of Silence*,
protesting the un-hiring of Dr. Steven Salaita and the recent attack on
academic freedom and free speech at the University of Illinois. Individuals
both on- and off-campus are encouraged to participate in a day of SYMBOLIC
silence by wearing a sideways Illini “I,” over their mouths or upon their
bodies, through the day. (The sideways Illini “I” is available for
print-out and on stickers provided on the Quad starting Tuesday morning).
On that day, at *11:30am*, we encourage students of the University of
Illinois to stage a civil walk-out from their classes and *rally on the
Main Quad*.
We ask that everyone take pictures of their participation and upload them
to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, using the hashtag #ReinstateSalaita.
Your support will be greatly appreciated!

***Illinois Student Senate Sub-Committee Meeting*
*Tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/9) at 6 pm the Student Senate's Committee on Student
Affairs will be meeting in a special session to discuss a resolution to
support Chancellor Wise's decision to fire Professor Salaita that should
concern us all. The meeting will take place outside the Senate Offices (2nd
floor of the Illini Union, southeast corner). *

"Members of the Senate, its Committees, and the public are welcome to
attend and to comment on the Committee's business when recognized. However,
because we will be meeting outside the Senate Offices (2nd floor of the
Illini Union, southeast corner), space will be more limited than for
meetings of the full Senate - forty individuals at most. I would ask that
anyone with strong opinions or long proposals submit a written brief to the
Committee, campusaffairs.ilstudentgov at gmail.com, to better ensure your
voices are heard."

PLEASE SHOW UP AND LET OUR SENATE KNOW THAT WE, AS STUDENTS, WILL NOT ALLOW
OUR REPRESENTATION TO UPHOLD THE CHANCELLOR AND BoT DECISION TO UNJUSTLY &
ILLEGALLY FIRE PROFESSOR SALAITA!

***University of Illinois Board of Trustees Meeting*
***Link to meeting schedule and agenda:  <goog_1200571169>*
http://www.trustees.uillinois.edu/trustees/agenda/September-11-2014/0000-UI-BOT-September-11-2014-meeting-notice.pdf
*Thursday, September 11th,* starting at *8 am* the university Board of
Trustees will be holding a meeting in the* Illini Rooms B and C, in the
Illini Union.*
Public comments session will be at *10:30 a.m.*

***Free tonight?*
We apologize for the late notice, however, please come to the viewing of *5
Broken Cameras* from *6:30pm-9:00pm*!
It's being hosted by the Channing Murray Foundation located *at 1209 W
Oregon St. in Urbana*.

In Solidarity,
SJP UIUC