[Peace] Fw: Rev Roy Bourgeois at Allen Hall 9/18

Dianna Visek via Peace peace at lists.chambana.net
Tue Sep 16 13:08:04 EDT 2014

 I hope he talks about the death squads.

Dianna

On Monday, September 15, 2014 4:43 PM, Unit One/Allen Hall <lhaber at illinois.edu> wrote:

Rev Roy Bourgeois at Allen Hall 9/18

Rev Roy Bourgeois
“Following your Conscience for Justice and Equality”

Thursday, Sept 18
7pm
Main Lounge of Allen Hall
1005 W. Gregory Drive, U
free parking in garage across the street

Roy Bourgeois is an internationally known activist for justice. After serving in Vietnam, Bourgeois joined Maryknoll Missionaries, was ordained to the priesthood, and served among the poor in South & Central America. His experiences with "death squads" there impelled him to oppose the US training of armies in counter-insurgency at the School of the Americas (SOA) at Fort Benning in Georgia. Hundreds of thousands have demonstrated to close the SOA. In 2008 he decided he must also address an injustice closer to home – that of the exclusion of women from the Roman Catholic priesthood. His refusal to recant and deny the dictates of his conscience eventually led to his canonical dismissal as a priest.
Bourgeois is a frequent national speaker for Call To Action, the national organization of progressive Catholics working for justice, inclusion and accountability in the church and society.

   ALLEN HALL/UNIT ONE       UNIVERSITY HOUSING
©2010 University of Illinois Housing

__._,_.___

________________________________

Posted by: Dianna Visek <chair at lpchampaign.org>

Yahoo Groups
New Improved Groups Search
Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity. Try it today!

Improvements in Yahoo Groups Search
Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity. Try it today!

.