[Peace] Showing up for Racial Justice Meeting SUNDAY

elizaBeth Simpson elizacorps at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 15:11:27 EDT 2015

--PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY--

Please join us this Sunday for the next Showing Up for Racial Justice
(SURJ) meeting:
Sunday, April 26, 1-2:30pm
Urbana Free LIbrary
Satterthwaite Conference Room

At this meeting we will:

1) CHECK IN: Share the ways in which we have, or have struggled with,
showing up for racial justice in the last month, and share current
events/issues happening in the community, and build our resource list.

2) ACTIVITY: Explore racial scripts and implicit bias: Getting a grip on
some of the messages we've received that influence how we think about and
respond based on racialized assumptions

3) CHECK OUT: Identify next steps for how we want to show up for racial
justice in the coming weeks.

“Showing Up for Racial Justice” is a national network of groups and
individuals organizing white people for racial justice. Through community
organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ moves white people to act as
part of a multi-racial majority for justice with passion and
accountability. We work to connect people across the country while
supporting and collaborating with local and national racial justice
organizing efforts. SURJ provides a space to build relationships, skills,
and political analysis to act for change. More about SURJ here
<http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/>.

Please RSVP to the Facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1603083223270877/

Or call 217-344-0721, or email andrea at ywcauofi.org to tell us you want to