[Peace] war or peace?

Debra Schrishuhn deb.pdamerica at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 04:18:24 EDT 2015

Good morning, Everyone.

This month, Progressive Democrats of America’s letter to U.S. Senators
focuses solely on the international agreement with Iran, accompanied
by a special appeal from our National Board Chair, Mimi Kennedy.

We are urging House members to support approval of the international
arms reduction agreement with Iran, expansion of voting rights and
Social Security benefits, and removing the ratification deadline for
the Equal Rights Amendment.

Please reply to this email to add your name to our letters, to be
delivered to Sens Durbin and Kirk, and Reps Davis and Shimkus. Text of
letters is appended below.

For a more peaceful and prosperous future,
Debra Schrishuhn
Central Illinois PDA
Progressive Democrats of America

Sen Durbin/Kirk:

The Administration negotiated a historic agreement with the UK,
France, Germany, Russia, and China to limit Iran’s nuclear program,
and deescalate a conflict that threatens to explode into a war. We
call upon you to support the Iran agreement when the Senate votes next
month.

Please see the attached letter from PDA Chair, Mimi Kennedy, regarding
this agreement. We believe that—should this agreement fail—war is the
only alternative.

We look forward to engaging you on these and other issues in the future.

Letter from Mimi Kennedy:

War or Peace? A Letter from Mimi Kennedy

I am writing to express my strong support for the historic agreement
negotiated by theUnited States, Germany, France, Russia, China, and
the U.K. with Iran. In September, when Congress reconvenes, you will
face the most monumental vote of all: whether to pursue peace, or
allow war. I call on you to vote in favor of the Iran nuclear
agreement.

Many experts caution that those who oppose the deal are supporting
war. According to high-level retired military leaders and
diplomats—including former Generals, Admirals, and Secretaries of
State—the deal with Iran would make the United States more secure.

Israel's intelligence agency Mossad, as well as the CIA and every
other U.S. intelligence agency agree: Iran has not even decided to try
to build a nuclear weapon. This agreement will make it impossible for
Iran to do so. Opposing the deal makes no sense.

We know that Congressional offices are being bombarded with organized
calls demanding a vote to kill this hard-fought, hard-won deal. We
understand that ads funded by billionaire ideologues and cynical
special interests currently target many Senators and House members. We
strongly urge you to stand up against the rush to war.

This agreement is important for our national, regional, and world
security. Experts explain this is about verification, not trust, as it
invokes strict monitoring of Iran to ensure compliance. This agreement
would help lead us away from fear and violence. The U.N. Security
Council voted unanimously to endorse it. The world community—including
our closest allies—supports the agreement.

We cannot afford another costly war of choice. Our military leadership
does not believe we should fight another war. We still have thousands
of troops deployed in Afghanistan and in Iraq, as well as air support
units in Syria, and elsewhere in the Middle East.

Taxpayers are already overstressed paying for recent wars and the
devastating effects of climate change including: drought,
desertification, storms, and floods. We need to focus on rebuilding
our economy and investing in our infrastructure here at home.

Please publicly announce your intention to vote in favor of the
historic agreement negotiated by the United States, Germany, France,
Russia, China, and the U.K.

Sincerely,
Mimi Kennedy National Chair
Progressive Democrats of America

Letter to Reps Davis/Shimkus:

The Administration negotiated a historic agreement with the UK,
France, Germany, Russia, and China to limit Iran’s nuclear program,
and deescalate a conflict that threatens to explode into a war. We
call upon you to support this agreement when the House votes next
month. Please see the attached letter from Progressive Democrats of
America Chair, Mimi Kennedy.

Social Security celebrates its 80th anniversary this month. August
also marks the Anniversary of Women's Equality Day, and of the Voting
Rights Act. Help us celebrate these milestones by cosponsoring the
following legislation to strengthen Social Security, protect voting
rights, and to extend full constitutional rights to women, (if you
haven't already):

Contact Rep. Ted Deutch's office at (202)-225-3001 to cosponsor the
Protecting and Preserving Social Security Act (HR 1811).

Contact Rep. Gwen Moore's office at (202)-225-4572 to cosponsor the
Social Security Enhancement and Protection Act (HR 1756).

Con
Contact Rep. Terri Sewell's office at (202)-225-2665 to cosponsor the
Voting Rights Advancement Act (H.R.2867), legislation to help promote
participation in elections.

Contact Rep. Jackie Speier's office at (202)-225-3531 to cosponsor
H.J.Res. 51, a resolution that would remove the time limit from the
Equal Rights Amendment, ending discrimination on account of sex.

We look forward to engaging you on these and other issues in the future.
tact Rep. Ron Kind's office at (202)-225-5506 to cosponsor the Social
Security and Marriage Equality Act (HR 1404).

Contact Rep. John Larson's office at (202)-225-2265 to cosponsor the
Social Security 2100 Act (HR 1391).

Contact Rep. John Lewis' office at (202)-225-3801 to cosponsor the
Voter Empowerment Act (HR 12).