[Peace] #DontBlockMyInternetRally is ON for Sat. at NOON - CUCPJ is cosponsoring

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Feb 20 20:15:07 EST 2015

Dear friends,

If it wasn't for the internet, we would have have the #BlackLivesMatter
movement. As Martel told the press
<http://progressillinois.com/news/content/2015/02/20/il-activists-free-open-internet-tool-social-change>
today:

*"I look at the Internet today as how television was in the civil rights
movement," Miller explains, "where it helps communities to be able to
produce their own news - where the news is not just locked into one
community, where you can show it nationwide - and bring changes to your
community, like they did in Ferguson."*

*Please come to the #DontBlockMyInternet rally tomorrow, Saturday at noon.
- WE NEED YOU to stand up to corporate power!*

Despite snow tonight, *THE RALLY IS ON* ... Tomorrow will be warmer (high
of 35) and only sprinkles during the day ... still dress warmly!

The corporate giants have dumped millions in lobbying these past few weeks,
but we are STILL winning thanks to our call ins, and rallies. View and
share these photos from San Antonio yesterday and Berkeley today at
#DontBlockMyInternet
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/DontBlockMyInternet?src=hash>

   - Please meet in front of the ATT sign at the corner of Prospect and
   Marketview Dr (in front of Lowe's) at NOON.

   - You are welcome to add your voice. Currently scheduled Speakers
   include Aaron Ammons Urbana City Council Member, Brandon Bowersox, chair of
   UC2B, Ben Grosser, local artist internationally known for his work with the
   internet, and Amanda Hwu, Prison Justice Project at the University of
   Illinois, Gus Wood, GEO, Mark Miller, UCIMC, Ordena Hope of HopeNet, and
   Mark Enslin Co-Director of the School for Designing a Society.

   - Press is briefed and will be present.

   - We have plenty of signs - just show up! If you need a ride, text me.

   - *Please invite your friends to the Facebook
   <https://www.facebook.com/events/338813709653217> event page and share the
   announcement below.*

Thank you!

Danielle Chynoweth
Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center
217-721-7223

<-- please forward -->

*#DontBlockMyInternet Action in Champaign*
Saturday, February 21st, Noon - 1pm
AT&T store 1902 North Prospect Avenue, Champaign, IL 61822 (in front of
Lowe's)

*RSVP Now
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dontblockmyinternet-rally-in-champaign-urbana-tickets-15751986616>Facebook
Event <https://www.facebook.com/events/338813709653217>*

We are in a countdown towards the passage of Internet rules that will keep
the Internet open for generations to come -- and we couldn't be happier.
The FCC is about to do the right thing and vote to reclassify the Internet
as a public utility at its next meeting on February 26th.

But the cable companies are pushing back and doing everything in their
power to block our success.

Our lives depend on an open Internet. Movements like #BlackLivesMatter,
#Not1More, and #Fightfor15 all rely on the open Internet to mobilize a
powerful public voice against police brutality, deportation, and for the
rights of low-wage workers. Artists and musicians need the internet to show
and distribute their work. And poor communities rely on the internet to
find jobs, apply for food stamps, and meet their basic needs.

That's why the Media Action Grassroots Network and our partners are hosting
actions across the country to say to Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time
Warner: #DontBlockMyInternet

Join the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center of the Media Action
Grassroots Network, CU Citizens for Peace and Justice along with our
national partners: Color of Change, Presente, 18 Million Rising, Free
Press, Move On, Fight for the Future, Demand Progress, Popular Resistance,
Occupy.com
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FOccupy.com%2F&h=1AQF3FM55&enc=AZM2K5zTKu_tm67siFXau_qMdGjuBb2exCGfAPJKtXTpzpu7GJxCem5cf-kxeuGTpqY&s=1>,
and the Backbone Campaign.

*What*: We will have a peaceful rally and speakout to tell the cable
giants: #DontBlockMyInternet, stop derailing democracy and stop fighting
net neutrality rules.

*Where*: AT&T store 1902 North Prospect Avenue, Champaign, IL 61822 (in
front of Lowe's)

*When*: Saturday, February 21st, Noon - 1pm

*Who*: Speakers include Aaron Ammons Urbana City Council Member, Brandon
Bowersox, chair of UC2B, Ben Grosser, local artist internationally known
for his work with the internet, and Amanda Hwu, Prison Justice Project at
the University of Illinois, Gus Wood, GEO, Mark Miller, UCIMC, Ordena Hope
of HopeNet, and Mark Enslin Co-Director of the School for Designing a
Society.

*RSVP* here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dontblockmyinternet-rally-in-champaign-urbana-tickets-15751986616>