[Peace] Fwd: [gslis-cscw] [hci-seminar] [Speaker] HCI Seminar on Feb.24 at 11:00am @ SC3405 – Vera Liao- Snowden: Lost in Twitterverse

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:07:14 EST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Yen, Yu-Chun" <yyen4 at illinois.edu>
Date: Feb 22, 2015 3:53 PM
Subject: [gslis-cscw] [hci-seminar] [Speaker] HCI Seminar on Feb.24 at
11:00am @ SC3405 – Vera Liao- Snowden: Lost in Twitterverse
To: "hci at cs.uiuc.edu" <hci at cs.uiuc.edu>, "hci-seminar at cs.uiuc.edu" <
hci-seminar at cs.uiuc.edu>

  *Speaker*: Vera Liao, Department of Computer Science, University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,

*Time *:  Tuesday February 24, 2015 11:00 am-12:00 pm

*Location*: 3405 Siebel Center

*Title: *Snowden: Lost in Twitterverse

*Abstract*

I will present a work in progress that explores how social media technology
shapes public opinion space. We looked at 10 months of Twitter data of the
controversial discussion on Edward Snowden. We focus on understanding how
the minority opinion group (anti-Snowden), as compared to the majority
group (pro-Snowden), behave and evolve. We found evidence of “spiral of
silence” in the minority group, that their engagement in the discussion
space was more impacted by social proof. We also found that, overtime, the
two groups shifted to different communication practice: the minority group
became more “internal”, focusing more on conversation and direct
interactions with opinion similar others; in contrast, the majority group
became more “external”, increasingly focusing on disseminating information
from its opinion leaders.

 *Event Link:*
http://hci.cs.illinois.edu/speaker-february-24-2015-snowden-lost-in-twitterverse-vera-liao/